PDA

View Full Version : Run windows apps in Linux via the 'Cloud'?

RioCunliffe
November 3rd, 2008, 12:33 PM
This probably isn't in the correct category. But i'm sure a mod will move it for me if it isn't :).

There has been allot of talk about the 'cloud' recently, with big names like Microsoft and Amazon jumping on board and its got me thinking. What are the limits of the cloud?

That question has made me think about how the cloud could be used to make linux better. Basicly my idea is that you have a popular windows application that has no Linux support, Photoshop CS4 for example, running on one of these cloud services and then have some kind of application (on the linux box) that connects to the cloud and allows the user to interact with the program that is running in the cloud. If this is all possible then you could effectivly run any windows application on linux by installing it on the cloud.

Just an idea :)
Your thoughts??

-Rio

asdfoo
November 3rd, 2008, 01:35 PM
This probably isn't in the correct category. But i'm sure a mod will move it for me if it isn't :).

There has been allot of talk about the 'cloud' recently, with big names like Microsoft and Amazon jumping on board and its got me thinking. What are the limits of the cloud?

That question has made me think about how the cloud could be used to make linux better. Basicly my idea is that you have a popular windows application that has no Linux support, Photoshop CS4 for example, running on one of these cloud services and then have some kind of application (on the linux box) that connects to the cloud and allows the user to interact with the program that is running in the cloud. If this is all possible then you could effectivly run any windows application on linux by installing it on the cloud.

Just an idea :)
Your thoughts??

-Rio

that would 10000 times worse than just installing windows in virtualbox, plus someone else would have control over your data and your software.

I heard that PS4 works in Wine anyway and that people at Adobe were using it that way before the release.

Bios Element
November 3rd, 2008, 02:54 PM
Aye, you'd be suprised at how much works with WINE as it is. Anyway, By the time PS4 comes out Gimp will be at a level that you won't even want PS4.

SonicSteve
November 3rd, 2008, 03:37 PM
Aye, you'd be suprised at how much works with WINE as it is. Anyway, By the time PS4 comes out Gimp will be at a level that you won't even want PS4.

Photoshop 4 is available now, at least as electronic download in the Academic channels. Perhaps I'll try sometime to see if it will install into wine.