PDA

View Full Version : Edubuntu

sp_ubuntulinux
November 30th, 2005, 02:01 AM
Has anyone used edubuntu here?:D I would like to know what it's like and the features.:D :D

az
November 30th, 2005, 02:28 AM
It's ubuntu with a bunch of educational and education-friendly software included. It also has a ltsp server which means that you can run a classroom of old hardware powered by one fast machine.

If you install the edubuntu-desktop system from a default install, you will get all the edubuntu packages. Try it out. This release is a little rough, but please try it out and make suggestions or file bugs so that the Dapper release rocks!

rajsarkar
November 30th, 2005, 08:48 AM
I have installed edubuntu the workstation version though (one can choose the installation type during installation).

Its nice. contains GCompris and KDEedu. There are other eductional applications as well. Great for kids of the age group 6 to 12. Particularly useful if you want to do an LTSP installation.

Regards,

Raj

lleb
December 2nd, 2005, 06:24 PM
is the edubuntu a live CD, or install only?

shade11
December 2nd, 2005, 06:37 PM
You can get an install CD but I dont see a live one.

lleb
December 2nd, 2005, 06:41 PM
ok, i have something downloaded and burned. was hopping to test it before i installed it on my laptop.

KermitJr
December 2nd, 2005, 07:44 PM
I've used edubuntu and it's pretty good. Up until now I was making my own liveCD with Morphix and it had an installer. Hopefully Dapper will allow liveCD/installCD as the same one.

GCompris is awesome. My 2.5 yr old uses it a lot, as it has basic mouse games, etc. Any 3 yr old and above has something to do.

I also set up LTSP labs for schools and have had a lot of success. One lab has a 1800+ Athlon and 768 MB RAM and runs 15 client PCS (100-250MHz / 64MB and no hdd) with KDE/OOo/FFox/Gimp/etc. Takes a minute to boot, but works awesome. No complaints from kids or teachers. (and they love having THEIR desktop no matter where they log in).

Ok, a bit of a rant... edubuntu is pretty good now and will be awesome with Dapper.

BobSongs
December 2nd, 2005, 09:57 PM
(Off topic): GCompris in French means: "I've understood". It's cute.

All in all I've seen no difference between Ubuntu and Edubuntu. Edubuntu feels like Ubuntu with a "Plus! for Kids" added.

Anyone know where Edubuntu is broken? What exactly does "a little rough" imply?

Bob

PDXlewis
February 14th, 2006, 08:00 PM
I also set up LTSP labs for schools and have had a lot of success. One lab has a 1800+ Athlon and 768 MB RAM and runs 15 client PCS (100-250MHz / 64MB and no hdd) with KDE/OOo/FFox/Gimp/etc. Takes a minute to boot, but works awesome. No complaints from kids or teachers. (and they love having THEIR desktop no matter where they log in).

Ok, a bit of a rant... edubuntu is pretty good now and will be awesome with Dapper.

Hey kermit,
I am just now wanting to do just this in a small rural school here. Can you give me some tips on how you did it? or a lead to someplace that can? This sounds fantastic.

Tim

UbuWu
February 14th, 2006, 08:54 PM
Hey kermit,
I am just now wanting to do just this in a small rural school here. Can you give me some tips on how you did it? or a lead to someplace that can? This sounds fantastic.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ThinClientHowto
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/EdubuntuLtspWiring

Bandit
February 14th, 2006, 10:29 PM
I think a Beowolf clustor would rock with a Edubuntu setup.

Ozitraveller
February 18th, 2006, 06:04 AM
Is is possible to setup/use Edubuntu in the home environment without all the school stuff? Is is possible to do a minimal install?

I saw some mention about forum space for Edubuntu, is this a pissibility?

UbuWu
February 18th, 2006, 01:52 PM
Is is possible to setup/use Edubuntu in the home environment without all the school stuff? Is is possible to do a minimal install?

Do you want the desktop or the server? The desktop has some school stuff, but if you don't like that, just use ubuntu instead. The server you can configure like you want, with whatever applications you want.

Ozitraveller
February 21st, 2006, 06:37 AM
Do you want the desktop or the server? The desktop has some school stuff, but if you don't like that, just use ubuntu instead. The server you can configure like you want, with whatever applications you want.

I wanted to try the whole terminal server/thin client thing out. I downloaded edubuntu live dapper flight-4, do I need a cd in each pc to try it?

UbuWu
February 21st, 2006, 01:06 PM
I wanted to try the whole terminal server/thin client thing out. I downloaded edubuntu live dapper flight-4, do I need a cd in each pc to try it?

I don't think that works with the live cd. On the server you will probably have to install it to the harddrive and then you don't need any other cd's for the clients.

Ozitraveller
February 22nd, 2006, 04:10 AM
I don't think that works with the live cd. On the server you will probably have to install it to the harddrive and then you don't need any other cd's for the clients.

Thanks UbuWu.

I'm hoping I will be able to use Edubuntu to create a SOHO (Small Office/Home Office) environment.

redjim
May 5th, 2006, 09:26 PM
You asked if there were any sites where someone had used edubuntu.

Here is a link to our site:

http://manueldublan.org/computerlab/

We have had a great experience with our school in Mexico.

.Thanks, James