PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help with trekstor external USB drive install

maheshjr2000
November 3rd, 2008, 06:32 AM
EDIT READ FIRST: I have deleted my vista partition and completely switched to ubuntu. I no longer have the problem mentioned below.

Hi guys! I need some help. Im running a toshiba satellite p200 with Vista and I have an external usb drive that I want to put ubuntu 8.10 on. Unfortunately the make live usb tool doesnt detect it. Last time I tried to use the general install tool with 8.04 my laptop refused to boot an OS without the USB drive attached. Luckily I was able to restore the MBR(I think that was the file removed) using a vista install cd. That is why I am hesitant to try the install again. Last time the only way I was able to do install on said drive was using a friends computer with the hard drive removed(this way it would leave his MBR alone). I also do not have a vista install cd to restore my MBR.

Edit: What I basically want to do is to be able to boot off the external drive and the laptop. So basically using two MBRs one on the drive(made by ubuntu) and one on the laptop(my existing one). Also I would like to use a full installation. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.