PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't really be this hard... can it?

vishor
November 3rd, 2008, 06:14 AM
So i've been looking into the whole linux thing for some time now and this weekend i finally decided to venture into it and try and get it on my laptop. I downloaded 8.10 on my desktop comp no problem only to burn it to CD and have my laptop not able to read it! So after i decided to check the hash number on the download and found out it didn't match... crap. Download the older 8.04 version on the desktop to see if that would work and checked the number only to find out that that didn't match up either! So in my effort to look for alternatives i decided to try wubi (the windows install) only to find out that my laptop won't let me download faster than 10kb/s! Personally... i don't want to have to wait 50 hours for a download. Can anyone suggest anything? Am i just missing something i clearly should be getting? Or is my last alternative just to go ahead and order a free CD that i would unfortunately have to wait 10 weeks for? Any help truly appreciated!

Yashiro
November 3rd, 2008, 06:21 AM
Download from an ftp mirror that is close to you. It's not the images fault your downloads are failing.

scragar
November 3rd, 2008, 06:24 AM
Downloading via a torrent is recomended, it will do the bitcheck as it downloads, so once your torrent program says it's downloaded you are sure it's downloaded without any errors.

Also, if you provide a little info as to where you are(don't gove your full address publicly, say a country and a state/whatever so you aren't giving away too much information) some people(myself included) are willing to send you a disk or 2 provided it won't cost too much to do so.

ad_267
November 3rd, 2008, 06:30 AM
If you're lucky you might find that a computer store near you sells Linux CDs pretty cheap. Also you can often find Linux CDs inside computer magazines. You can also get a free CD sent out by Ubuntu, but that could take a while to get to you. See https://shipit.ubuntu.com/ I ordered one once and it took about two or three weeks to get to me in New Zealand.

vishor
November 3rd, 2008, 06:55 AM
Well the actual downloads of Ubuntu i was doing at the start were successfully completing. Nothing is actually failing in that department. The only thing failing is wubi which isn't actually failing but just going super slow and there doesn't seem to be an option to select a different mirror with that.

As for my location I live in British Columbia, Canada. Never even thought of somebody able to send me a CD so if anyone close can that'd be awesome!

vishor
November 4th, 2008, 04:26 AM
Downloading via a torrent is recomended, it will do the bitcheck as it downloads, so once your torrent program says it's downloaded you are sure it's downloaded without any errors.

Just tried this Scragar! Seems to be working all good now! Thanks for the help!