PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] [SOLVED] Ibex shutdown sound problem

Corfy
November 3rd, 2008, 05:33 AM
I have read several posts on the forum about people not having a shutdown sound.

I'm having the reverse problem. When I shutdown on my laptop, the shutdown sound comes out of the speakers at what I think is full volume (it is pretty loud, in any rate), this despite the fact that I have the sound on my mixer turned completely down. Since these are the internal speakers for the laptop, I can't turn them down any other way.

It isn't a huge problem, but I typically forget about it and get blown out the back of my chair with sound when I'm not expecting anything.

BTW, I'm running Kubuntu 8.10 on a Dell Latitude D620 laptop.

jedimasterk
November 3rd, 2008, 08:24 AM
I have had similar problems with Ubuntu as well. It all has to do with Pulse Audio. What I did was remove pulse audio and ubuntu desktop (don't worry ubuntu desktop is a meta package so all of ubuntu will not be removed.). I then would install e-sound and then reboot. Sounds would then all work fine. This is also a solution to getting back your sound in flash with Ibex. This should work for kubuntu as well. Just remove kubuntu-desktop, pulse audio, and install esound then reboot.

grotto
November 3rd, 2008, 10:54 AM
You can tweak the system sounds in System Settings -> System Notifications. I disable all the sounds - I find them useless. There is a volume slider under Player Settings in System Notifications, as well.

loomsen
November 3rd, 2008, 11:07 AM
You can tweak the system sounds in System Settings -> System Notifications. I disable all the sounds - I find them useless. There is a volume slider under Player Settings in System Notifications, as well.

Not enough. Pulse was the problem here too, cause it's loaded at boot-time.
Recently it hasn't been a problem for me anymore, but before any application using sound freezed to grey, and as soon as I killed pulseaudio all came up instantly again.

Method mentioned above using the enlightenment sound demon instead is probably best thing to do.

Corfy
November 3rd, 2008, 03:56 PM
This is also a solution to getting back your sound in flash with Ibex.

But... I haven't had any problems with sound in Flash, or any other sounds, for that matter, and I have been trying to put it through its paces. OK, when I first upgraded, I didn't have any sounds at all, but I found that was because of the settings in mixer. After a couple of tweaks with sliders, it worked perfectly... except for the shutdown sound.

I'm away from my Linux laptop, so I can't try your fix right now, but I will later. I will try the system notification thing first before I reinstall the audio, but I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks for the help.

Corfy
November 4th, 2008, 12:42 AM
You can tweak the system sounds in System Settings -> System Notifications. ... There is a volume slider under Player Settings in System Notifications, as well.

That was indeed my problem... the volume slider was at 100%. I don't know why it doesn't use the system volume level, but that is a discussion for another thread, I guess.

I turned my sounds down to about 15 or 20%. That way if something does require my attention, I will still hear it, but it won't blow my ears out.