PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Laptop Keyboard/Desktop Randomly Lock Up and Stop Responding

cessnasoarer172
November 3rd, 2008, 05:09 AM
Help! I have a major problem after switching from windows xp to ubuntu 8.10. Randomly, without any notice, warning, or set time interval, the keyboard (i have a presario 3000 laptop) randomly stops letting me type, i also can't click on any of the menus, bring any drop down lists (such as right clicking on the desktop) or other weird things. I am usually forced to do a hard reboot, as the system doesn't respond to clicking on the panels, even though the mouse moves.

I really like ubuntu, but i rely on the computer for work and if this keeps happening i may have to switch back. please help.

Blackwolf_Oz
November 3rd, 2008, 10:41 AM
are you using SCIM?

please note that if u accidentally type "ctrl-space" it will turn off your SCIM and whatever your type wont come out

to re-active, type "ctrl-space" again

My advice: go to SCIM setup page and change the shortcut to something else. Ctrl-Space is a bit too easy to accidently presses

cessnasoarer172
November 4th, 2008, 04:44 AM
I don't think it is that, as ctrl-space does not change anything, and when it is locked it doesn't force the menus to be clickable again. could it possibly have something to do with a proprietary driver i am using such as the b43legacy driver for broadcom wifi?