PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Reinstalling 8.04 over 8.10

rgraves
November 3rd, 2008, 05:06 AM
Can I go backwards and just reinstall 8.04 over 8.10 using the live CD? Will there be any issues to deal with by doing this?

Too many problems with 8.10. nvidia problems. Open Office 3 problems.
Too much of a headache.

Everything was great and running fine in 8.04. I should have read forums closer before upgrading to 8.10.

Partyboi2
November 3rd, 2008, 05:13 AM
You would have to do a clean install of 8.04, so remember to backup your data before doing a fresh install. Then choose to install to the entire disk and this should wipe your 8.10 installation.

Therion
November 3rd, 2008, 05:13 AM
I reverted back from 8.10 to 8.04 myself this weekend and no, there were no issues with re-installing from a "LiveCD". I installed as usual (Guided: Use Entire Disk) and just let 'er rip. 8.04 is so much snappier and smoother for me... Felt good having it back.

pansz
November 3rd, 2008, 06:19 AM
IMO the best date for install a x.04 version is September, and the best time for install a x.10 version is the next March.

March 2009 might be the time for install the Ubuntu 8.10, not now. ---- just my 2 cents.

rgraves
November 3rd, 2008, 06:31 AM
I'm back to 8.04 and couldn't be happier.

Thanx,
bob

N00bB00b
November 3rd, 2008, 06:45 AM
I reverted back from 8.10 to 8.04 myself this weekend and no, there were no issues with re-installing from a "LiveCD". I installed as usual (Guided: Use Entire Disk) and just let 'er rip. 8.04 is so much snappier and smoother for me... Felt good having it back.

Did you have to wipe your data, too?

Here's my problem: X won't start, so I'm concerned that I'm going to have difficulty getting all my data and settings backed up correctly if I have to wipe the entire partition.

Therion
November 5th, 2008, 04:43 AM
Did you have to wipe your data, too?

Here's my problem: X won't start, so I'm concerned that I'm going to have difficulty getting all my data and settings backed up correctly if I have to wipe the entire partition.
Ooooooo... I see.

Well, this is one more reason why I have an external, USB hard drive. It's where all my data sits.

I also use it to store the backups of my /, /home and config files after using QuickStart (http://quickstart.phpbb.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11) to create them. I'm not sure what to suggest you do.

abn91c
November 5th, 2008, 04:56 AM
go here to install office 3.0
http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-To-Install-OpenOffice-org-3-0-in-Ubuntu-8-10-96449.shtml

N00bB00b
November 5th, 2008, 03:09 PM
Thanks for the help guys. I'm still thinking of downgrading, but I have managed to get a little closer to making 8.1 operate. I started looking for help in this thread: 6105565 but then after not getting any replies I started screwing around and got some things working, and began bootstrapping forward. I have most of 8.1 working now, but I don't think it's enough to justify trying to continue.

The long-story-long story is this: When doing the upgrade, the installer asks if you want to remove the unused packages. I (like many others) said "Yes", and then essentially everything "important" got removed. Once I figured that out and started reinstalling some packages I made some progress. Now I'm at the point that it's not great, but it is running, I got X/Gnome running, and most of the services running (including sound).

There are multiple recommendations to just boot from an 8.1 live cd and reinstall, which is what I'm probably going to try next if I can't make significant headway in short order. I can then downgrade to 8.04 if I don't like where things are going in 8.1 with a fresh have-at-it.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for the suggestions.