PDA

View Full Version : Bring back the awesome!

edd07
November 3rd, 2008, 04:40 AM
¿Why, oh why was Firefox's Awesomebar renamed? It sounded so cool!

But, seriously, I can think of a couple of reasons the old, "Awesome" name was better than the new "Smart Location Bar" name:

-Mozilla seems to want people to see them as a "good" (as opposed to Microsoft being "evil") and friendly company. I think naming one of its product's higlights "Awesomebar" will support that notion. Making something sound commically cocky will make people realize that software is made by real individuals, a community, not a huge company. "Smart Location Bar" sounds cold and corporate-like.

-The name would grab a potential user's attention. If a IE user is browsing the web and comes across a Firefox review or the Firefox site itself, reading something that makes them chuckle will instantly grab their attention. You read: "Smart Location Bar!", you go: "Oh, another Smart-something. Software companies are soo clever...". You read "Awesomebar!", you go: "Awesome? What does this thing do? *continues reading*"

-A funny name like "Awesomebar" will make it easier for people to remember the product. Humans make up nicknames for a reason. An informal name is more likely to be remembered than the look-at-me-I'm-so-professional-sounding "Smart Location Bar".

Anyway, those are my thoughts. Oh, and by the way, I DO know posting this here won't be seen by the developers, I'm just trying to start a discussion here. ;-)

So, what do you think?

vishzilla
November 3rd, 2008, 05:30 AM
Where is it mentioned?

-grubby
November 3rd, 2008, 05:32 AM
It was never named the 'awesomebar'. Some random blogger came up with that name, and people use it more than the official name

hanzomon4
November 3rd, 2008, 05:34 AM
Awesomebar ftw!!!!!

edd07
November 3rd, 2008, 05:50 AM
It was never named the 'awesomebar'.
Not officially, no. But Mozilla does use it
Quote from the Fx site: 'it’s so highly evolved that we like to call it the “Awesome Bar”'

Some random blogger came up with that name, and people use it more than the official name
That's kind of my point. The name stuck. People think it's better. Why not use it?

-grubby
November 3rd, 2008, 05:59 AM
Not officially, no. But Mozilla does use it
Quote from the Fx site: 'it’s so highly evolved that we like to call it the “Awesome Bar”'

Why complain if mozilla uses it differently then? You're still free to call it the awesomebar

yabbadabbadont
November 3rd, 2008, 06:46 AM
First thing I disabled upon installing Firefox 3...

edd07
November 3rd, 2008, 11:07 PM
Why complain if mozilla uses it differently then? You're still free to call it the awesomebar
Yeah, I'm free to call it Wahoogafly, as well, but that's not the point. My post was about why I think it should be made the official name.

kevdog
November 4th, 2008, 06:10 AM
I have no idea what you guys are talking about and I have FF3 installed. Can you point to where I can preview this awesome bar so I can make my own opinion?

Spr0k3t
November 4th, 2008, 06:18 AM
I have an awesome bar going across the top of my screens that shows me all the information I could ever want (conky). It's not a part of firefox though.

Can someone elaborate with screenshots and large pointy arrows to detail the awesomenessbar of this awesomebar? However, if it's another toolbar like the yahootoolbar, googletoolbar, or even the stumblethingy... I demand we call it the same as every other add-on toolbar ever created: Total Suckage.

-grubby
November 4th, 2008, 06:21 AM
I have no idea what you guys are talking about and I have FF3 installed. Can you point to where I can preview this awesome bar so I can make my own opinion?

Start typing things into the address bar. A little menu should come down which has bookmark entries and such in it

Spr0k3t
November 4th, 2008, 06:41 AM
Start typing things into the address bar. A little menu should come down which has bookmark entries and such in it

That's the smart address bar. When did it ever get the totally g-hey name of "awesomebar".

myusername
November 4th, 2008, 06:51 AM
i have always just called it the address bar. people know what your talking about when you say that

edd07
November 4th, 2008, 09:02 PM

I have an awesome bar going across the top of my screens that shows me all the information I could ever want (conky). It's not a part of firefox though.

Can someone elaborate with screenshots and large pointy arrows to detail the awesomenessbar of this awesomebar? However, if it's another toolbar like the yahootoolbar, googletoolbar, or even the stumblethingy... I demand we call it the same as every other add-on toolbar ever created: Total Suckage.

"Awesomebar" is a nickname for Firefox 3's "Smart Location Bar" (it's not an add-on, it's built-in). You may know it as just "Location bar"; it's where the URL you're viewing, the RSS icon, the bookmarking star, and the site identity info button are shown (if you still can't find it, it's to the Home button's right and the searchbar's left :p).

The awesomeness comes from its ability to search your history, bookmarks and tags when you type something into it, and to learn which site you use the most, so it puts them on top of the list, for easier access. Instead of the simple list older versions of Fx had, it shows the favicon of the page, whether it's tagged or bookmarked and the complete URL.

Some people love it, some people hate it and some people don't notice it at all. I think it's truly awesome.