PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Upgrade or Wait?

Neovos
November 3rd, 2008, 04:11 AM
Poll to see how many of you are waiting to upgrade to Ibex or are doing it ASAP and if you're keeping with your own traditions regarding waiting or doing it ASAP.

I'm so satisfied with Hardy on my machines that I figured I'd wait it out until the initial wave of upgrade bugs has passed or even longer. I think a poll like this could show the maturity of Ubuntu as the releases happen. I think the less people who feel the need to upgrade immediately translates to overall more satisfaction in the current release and thus a overall maturity of the system. It's a question really of whether dealing the wave of new release bugs is worth the new features the upgrade provides. In my case here, it really doesn't. After being being a traditionally progressive upgrader since Fawn, I've transitioned into a conservative one with Hardy. Curious how many others are out there.

jollygamer321
November 3rd, 2008, 04:23 AM
Well, If I were you, I'd wait. In general as you probablly know, it normally isn't smart to upgrade soon as an OS releases. Here's my take on it: If you are a seasoned user and able to fix problems on your own and willing to go to the trouble of it, go for it. It'll help get things going and get the kinks out. I, sadly, am not a seasoned user but got anxious and did the upgrade. Since I do not have the experience and know how to fix my problems, I can't really help get the bugs out, and only add to the bloat of people needing help. I think I'll probably just back-up my files and restart with 8.04 until 8.10 is a little less green.

Neovos
November 3rd, 2008, 04:29 AM
Thats the thing though, I am relatively seasoned and have been able to fix all the problems I've come accross with all the distros (and I've had some duseys) . So it's not that I'm afraid of tackeling the bugs, it's just that I'm that satisfied with Hardy.

dveej
November 3rd, 2008, 04:58 AM
Noob here. My excellent noob advice is:

Waaaiittttt!!!!!!!!

Upgrade failed; install is crippled.

Sef
November 3rd, 2008, 05:01 AM
Thats the thing though, I am relatively seasoned and have been able to fix all the problems I've come accross with all the distros (and I've had some duseys) . So it's not that I'm afraid of tackeling the bugs, it's just that I'm that satisfied with Hardy.

If you are happy with Hardy, It is fine to stick with it. If Hardy is doing what you want, there is no real reason to upgrade.

AndyCee
November 3rd, 2008, 05:04 AM
I have a spare partition I use for testing new/different releases (I just share the "/home" directory on another partition. I had Intrepid installed since alpha 5, and haven't gone back to Hardy yet.

Having said that, I'll always keep my Hardy partition handy. No way I'd recommend changing/upgrading the OS of my only laptop without a fallback option.

RedRat
November 3rd, 2008, 05:12 AM
Reading some of the messages in the newsgroups it appears that are some issues with 8.10, especially with video cards like Nvidia and ATI. Probably a good idea to wait a month or so until the various bugs get worked out.

shimmey
November 3rd, 2008, 05:36 AM
I choose to wait.
The OS is used to use, not for upgrading.

timClicks
November 3rd, 2008, 05:54 AM
I'm a relative newcomer to Linux (first came on board with Hardy) so I was keen to experience the promises of Ubuntu's quick release cycle, despite there being no real need because my Hardy setup was great. I upgraded to Intrepid a few weeks ago and have been quite frustrated.

In general I think that people just like to have flash new toys. There's nothing like opening a present and having a play. If you can live without the 'pretty new thing'. From a societal perspective, the Keeping up with the Joneses scenario comes into play - which I haven't seen so much of in the Linux community.

My Hardy system was very stable and my hardware worked great. The only thing I disliked about Hardy was the Human theme. I agree with what you mean by reducing push factors, it's likely to reduce the incentive to upgrade. I think that's a huge asset.

As far as pull factors for Intrepid go - I wasn't impressed with the out-of-box experience. With Intrepid, I lost my sound, video and wireless capabilities. This didn't happen when I moved from Windows Vista to Hardy. Also, OOo 3 was a little too late to be included in Intrepid.

On the flip side, the bonus of having problems is that I've been learning lots about my computer and the way it operates. So, maybe it was a blessing in disguise.

Tim

Mobby
November 3rd, 2008, 11:38 AM
Hi,
To be honest I would say wait for a bit. I went from 8.04 to 8.10 this weekend (clean install) and to be honest it feels a bit of a step backwards. My 8.04 was working fine, did what I want it to do (mostly) but at the moment I'm in the process of a slow migration from windows to Ubuntu so when a new release comes out I usually trash my current Ubuntu to try the newest version. I know it might sound mad but I like restarting from scratch because through the process of setting the installation up each time I learn more and working through the problems also helps the learning process.

I've had the graphics problem (weird corrupted titlebar flickering problem) and a few other glitches. I know what the new features of Intrepid are but generally I don't really see the difference in 8.04 to 8.10 other than 8.10 giving me a few more problems than 8.04 did.

I'm sure soon enough bug fixes and updates will be on their way and 8.10 will be as good as 8.04 with the new features. How's that for a very long answer to a short question :)

Mobby.

jema
November 3rd, 2008, 01:55 PM
I'd wait, I think there are just too many issues people are experiencing with the upgrade.

silkstone
November 3rd, 2008, 02:44 PM
I agree - wait! Not only are many people having serious issues with the upgrade, but also Intrepid doesn't seem to offer anything new and great. Probably 9.04 will include OOo 3 and GIMP 2.6, so I'd skip Intrepid and look at Jaunty next year.