PDA

View Full Version : "Doom9 Researchers Break BD+"

Fatboy Snarky
November 3rd, 2008, 03:06 AM
Hi,

just wanted to make this more public because this could be interesting for the (K)ubuntu user in the near future:

http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/11/01/1728222

Seems like the general Blu-Ray playback solution for GNU/Linux is almost there.

zmjjmz
November 3rd, 2008, 03:15 AM
It was only a matter of time.
It'll go public soon, and žen blu-ray will be just as unpiratable (made žat word up) as DVD.
Že media companies might eventually realize žat DRM is useless.
Might.

kevdog
November 3rd, 2008, 03:22 AM
Doom9 Researchers

These researchers are not associated with doom9.org are they?

Polygon
November 3rd, 2008, 03:48 AM
most likely just people who are posting on teh doom9 forums

SunnyRabbiera
November 3rd, 2008, 05:36 AM
Good, blueray was bound to be cracked sooner or later...
Like the liberty bell baby, like the liberty bell! :D

Polygon
November 3rd, 2008, 07:20 AM
from the slashdot discussion, although bd+ is essentially cracked, its a lot more complicated then CSS, which could only be implemented one way. here, bd+ is running some sort of VM, and technically movie studios could have scripts and stuff that could actually break playback in older machines in order to counter people ripping the movies illegally. So although its already cracked now, its going to be an ongoing battle for sure.

handy
November 4th, 2008, 12:29 PM
Slysoft sell AnyDVD HD, which handles the problems for windows users.

I don't have a Blue Ray drive, but I grabbed a torrent & test installed it on Arch via Wine, it installed fine, but it had the expected optical drive communication problem.

Erunno
November 4th, 2008, 01:27 PM
BD+ had already been broken months ago by SlySoft but understandably they kept it to themselves. Word on the street says that it was actually someone from SlySoft who gave the Doom9 people the final hint about an attack vector to crack the BD copyright protection.

handy
November 5th, 2008, 01:31 AM
BD+ had already been broken months ago by SlySoft but understandably they kept it to themselves. Word on the street says that it was actually someone from SlySoft who gave the Doom9 people the final hint about an attack vector to crack the BD copyright protection.

Which street was that? ;-)

Frak
November 5th, 2008, 03:35 AM
Sesame Street

handy
November 8th, 2008, 01:11 PM
Sesame Street

Sesawho?

Frak
November 8th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Sesawho?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sesame_Street

handy
November 8th, 2008, 11:11 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sesame_Street

Sorry, It was another of my poor attempts at humor.

I thought that you may have been using the Sesame (pronounced seza-me) to indicate the groundlessness of a previous statement, which I was recapitulating by saying Sesawho?

I'll be quiet now... :lolflag:

Frak
November 9th, 2008, 12:02 AM
Sorry, It was another of my poor attempts at humor.

I thought that you may have been using the Sesame (pronounced seza-me) to indicate the groundlessness of a previous statement, which I was recapitulating by saying Sesawho?

I'll be quiet now... :lolflag:
:lolflag:

Didn't catch it until now.

Erunno
November 9th, 2008, 12:44 AM

That was my poor attempt at slang. :) Actually, the German tech news site heise.de reported that SlySoft provided some help with breaking the BD+ protection.

handy
November 9th, 2008, 08:56 AM
That was my poor attempt at slang. :) Actually, the German tech news site heise.de reported that SlySoft provided some help with breaking the BD+ protection.

3rdalbum
November 9th, 2008, 11:04 AM
So, what is the status of Bluray playback on Linux?

Is it up to the point where we can patch Mplayer, install "libbluray" and just play your disc; or is there some real hackery still involved with compatible drives, discs with known keys, and manually plugging values into programs?

What I'm really asking is: Is it worth buying a Bluray drive, or more trouble than it's worth?

slicemaster
November 12th, 2008, 12:27 AM
I agree, what does this mean for the average user? Sure the advanced computer programmer type can utilize this at this point but when will it become something usable by the general Linux public? Perhaps as simple as a generic package that is installed similar to what we all install to payback DVDs. I for one would not be willing to do a firmware crack on my blue ray drive if I had one. However, I would like to get into the blue ray scene now that things are coming along in Linux, so my hat most certainly goes off to these guys for a superb piece of work. However, now that this proof of concept is public we need to make it usable, refine the implementation, and start work on additional feature support in Linux such as BD-J menu support and such.

Peace,
Slice

handy
November 12th, 2008, 05:34 AM
I agree, what does this mean for the average user? Sure the advanced computer programmer type can utilize this at this point but when will it become something usable by the general Linux public? Perhaps as simple as a generic package that is installed similar to what we all install to payback DVDs. I for one would not be willing to do a firmware crack on my blue ray drive if I had one. However, I would like to get into the blue ray scene now that things are coming along in Linux, so my hat most certainly goes off to these guys for a superb piece of work. However, now that this proof of concept is public we need to make it usable, refine the implementation, and start work on additional feature support in Linux such as BD-J menu support and such.

Peace,
Slice

Why not flash the firmware?

If what goes on is a problem you can flash it back to where it was with a copy of the original.

slicemaster
November 13th, 2008, 01:19 AM
Why not flash the firmware?

If what goes on is a problem you can flash it back to where it was with a copy of the original.

i have flashed many drives with new firmware, it is not a matter of not knowing how or being afraid of bricking a $130 drive. it is the convenience factor, a turnkey solution needs to be developed so that "real people" can use it, and firmware flashing is simply not what most "real people" are comfortable with. Also, i understand that this hack is still in its infancy but what i am advocating be done is the further development, refinement, implementation of the software. If a commercial software like AnyDVD HD can do it with out a firmware upgrade, there is no reason that this hack can't be further developed to do the same.

so what it basically comes down to is that i am congratulating the fellows at Doom9 for their hard work and encouraging the developers to take what is available and make it better.

Slice

P.S. I am also advocating that the linux community band together to further extend the feature set of blue ray under Linux. The VM implementation of this hack obviously needs to be future proofed against additional BD+ trickery, but for the most part, much of the heavy lifting has been done, namely bypassing AACS and BD+. however additional work needs to be done to support the value added features of blue-ray that the general public demands such as support for the advanced menuing system that exists on blue-ray and to support this under linux an open source implementation of BD-J needs to be developed.