PDA

View Full Version : just got done installing xubuntu at church

myusername
November 3rd, 2008, 03:05 AM
my youth group has two computers at our church. both of them run windows. well today one of them got a boatload of viruses and i decided that i would install xubuntu on it. after 45 min of trying to boot the cd i thought i'd put some more ram in it. it only had 128mb and i wasnt about to spend the whole day installing and configuring openbox. so i finally got the ram install (now it has 3xx something mb) and its running xubuntu 8.10 smoothly :guitar: so now hopefully the kids in the youth group will catch on and ask me to install it in their computers too

cardinals_fan
November 3rd, 2008, 03:10 AM
Good work. I wouldn't run Xubuntu on a machine with that little RAM though. SliTaz, Debian, or an Ubuntu minimal install would be better.

elmer_42
November 3rd, 2008, 03:14 AM
Personally, I would install either Ubuntu Minimal or Arch Linux and then build from there. Yes, it would take a while, but the end result would be harder, better, faster, and stronger.

myusername
November 3rd, 2008, 03:15 AM
yeah i thought about lxde with arch. but i couldnt use that much time setting that up

voteforpedro36
November 3rd, 2008, 03:24 AM
Openbox doesn't take that long to get set up... (Arch on the other hand...)

Yeah I woulda used Arch and Openbox

myusername
November 3rd, 2008, 03:27 AM
im a perfectionist and well i had to make it idiot proof and look like windows enough so the could use it.

MaxIBoy
November 3rd, 2008, 03:42 AM
LXDE looks pretty much like Windows by default, and it needed zero configuration by me for it to work.

(But I don't use it because it looks pretty much like Windows by default.)

SomeGuyDude
November 3rd, 2008, 03:50 AM
Did anyone else get the mental image of someone sitting in a pew, installing Xubuntu while the preacher was delivering his sermon?

myusername
November 3rd, 2008, 03:51 AM
i know but arch takes longer to set up and lxde is just not the same on ubuntu. and arch breaks sometimes. i couldnt constantly fix it everytime that happens

myusername
November 3rd, 2008, 03:53 AM
Did anyone else get the mental image of someone sitting in a pew, installing Xubuntu while the preacher was delivering his sermon?

hahahahaha. well my dad is a preacher so maybe if i did it in the back....

mfarquhar
November 3rd, 2008, 03:59 AM
im running Xubuntu right now on 192 MB of RAM, had to use the alternate CD to install it (not quite enough for the Live), but it works fine for me now that it is installed

lisati
November 3rd, 2008, 07:11 AM
im a perfectionist and well i had to make it idiot proof and look like windows enough so the could use it.
I've seen threads on the forums about making Kubuntu look like XP....

Well.... I've been known to fire up e-sword under XP while the sermon has been delivered. And a few weeks back the church borrowed my new laptop running vista to put up the overheads for some of the hymns......

Polygon
November 3rd, 2008, 07:31 AM
if its an older computer, go order as much as ram as you can put in there. older ram goes for like 20-30 dollars, and it makes ALL the difference.

macogw
November 3rd, 2008, 07:36 AM
if its an older computer, go order as much as ram as you can put in there. older ram goes for like 20-30 dollars, and it makes ALL the difference.

Uh, only if it's used RAM. If you buy it at the store, it goes for about $70 for only 128mb.

SomeGuyDude
November 3rd, 2008, 07:46 AM
Uh, only if it's used RAM. If you buy it at the store, it goes for about $70 for only 128mb.

:confused:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Kingston-Technologies-1GB-DDR2-ValueRAM-Laptop-Memory-KVR667D2SO1GR/sem/rpsm/oid/155057/catOid/-12993/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

$79 for a gig stick of PC2-5300. And that's Circuit City. Hell I went one day and picked up two sticks for $35 each because they were on sale.

Here ya go, two 2GB sticks of the same for $75 from Newegg. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134605

macogw
November 3rd, 2008, 07:53 AM
:confused:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Kingston-Technologies-1GB-DDR2-ValueRAM-Laptop-Memory-KVR667D2SO1GR/sem/rpsm/oid/155057/catOid/-12993/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

$79 for a gig stick of PC2-5300. And that's Circuit City. Hell I went one day and picked up two sticks for $35 each because they were on sale.

Here ya go, two 2GB sticks of the same for $75 from Newegg. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134605

Uh, if it's available as a 2GB stick, it is not old RAM. Hell, if it's available as a 512MB stick, it is not old RAM. 128MB of PC-100 is $70 in a store, and about $20 used. 256MB is nearly impossible to find.