PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Asus eee pc 1000h wireless problem

bo3skoor
November 3rd, 2008, 02:38 AM
hello there,

recently, I have installed ubuntu 8.10 on a usb hard drive. when I boot the computer form the ubuntu usb I can't get the wireless to work. actually the machine can't even see the wireless adapter.

some of the hotkey don't work either. I mean I can't even disable/enable the wireless card using the keyboard(Fn+F2).
Recording sound is not working too.

any ideas ppl

bo3skoor
November 4th, 2008, 02:17 AM
still waiting for some one to help!!!

bo3skoor
November 4th, 2008, 08:12 AM
up up

surfed
November 4th, 2008, 08:30 AM
still waiting for some one to help!!!

This is a Forum not an IRC chat channel. Post your question and wait politely for an answer, witch of course you could have found by now, using the search functions as there is an how to for the eee on these forums. Learn How to search.

bo3skoor
November 4th, 2008, 10:29 AM
This is a Forum not an IRC chat channel. Post your question and wait politely for an answer, witch of course you could have found by now, using the search functions as there is an how to for the eee on these forums. Learn How to search.

I know that this is a forum and I know there is a search tool in the forum but what I don't know is that some 1 like you will answer me.

the good thing for everybody is not to act as they are being smart when they r not.

I'm here because I'm new to Linux and ubuntu. So the polite act is to help me or otherwise stay relaxed (you know what I mean)

again anybody can help me with the issue.

just to make things clear i'm using eee pc 1000H

this is the output i get from the terminal:

RaLink Device 0781
Attansic Technology Corp. L1 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter (rev b0)

surfed
November 4th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Searching the Ubuntu Forums is a quick way to see if someone has had your issue and if it has been answered. In a forum as large and active as this one, there's a good chance your question has been answered before, and you can get the information you want quickly.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=963259&highlight=asus+1000h

bo3skoor
November 5th, 2008, 01:24 AM
Searching the Ubuntu Forums is a quick way to see if someone has had your issue and if it has been answered. In a forum as large and active as this one, there's a good chance your question has been answered before, and you can get the information you want quickly.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=963259&highlight=asus+1000h

i tried looking for an answer or even some body with similar to what i have but no chance. Ethernet is not working. so I can't start to do the rest of the steps apart from sending my kids shopping

surfed
November 5th, 2008, 01:36 AM
I am not sure on why wired network does not work out of the box, it does for me on the 1000h. Is your network manager running?

NetworkManager

Another solution would be to follow the instructions on array.org/ubuntu on how to install the custom kernel without net access.

bo3skoor
November 5th, 2008, 12:40 PM
i don't know man. Linux world is adventurous.

i guess there is no NetworkManger i dont know if u mean network settings.

i think i will hold on for now and keep trying some time later

i appreciate ur time and ur help :p

i love open source idea and support it but i wish that Linux distro become more dynamic and user friendly.

its a good thing to let people play and tweak any open source projects but what i love to see is a newbie version for ppl like me which all require nothing but ease of use.

ath007
April 8th, 2009, 10:10 AM
@ bo3skoor,
hey there buddy, i too have the same problem. I found it (wireless adapter) not working in 8.04. So thinking it might not have been a supported device, i upgraded to 8.10 (cd installation). And still it is not working. I would appreciate help on getting it to work from you or anyone else who got it to work somehow.

I found some link related to 'madwifi' drivers that help in supporting unknown cards to work in Ubuntu. But i also found it was restricted to Atheros cards alone. And i dont think the Asus 1000h has an Atheros card.

I am still looking for options for getting it to work.

Thanks

surfed
April 8th, 2009, 05:06 PM
@ bo3skoor,
hey there buddy, i too have the same problem. I found it (wireless adapter) not working in 8.04. So thinking it might not have been a supported device, i upgraded to 8.10 (cd installation). And still it is not working. I would appreciate help on getting it to work from you or anyone else who got it to work somehow.

I found some link related to 'madwifi' drivers that help in supporting unknown cards to work in Ubuntu. But i also found it was restricted to Atheros cards alone. And i dont think the Asus 1000h has an Atheros card.

I am still looking for options for getting it to work.

Thanks

either check out forums at forum.eeeuser.com in the ubuntu section or update to Jaunty (final out this month and beta works like a charm on my 1000h) also you might want to try Ubuntu NBR

johnnylong
June 3rd, 2009, 07:39 AM
try this thread. it might help you:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1110957&highlight=asus+1000h+wireless+issue&page=2

worked like charm for me...

F_Lar
March 19th, 2011, 01:33 AM
Hello to all!

I recently just came back to Ubuntu after being a Windows user for a long time. Now I am using Ubunut 10.10 Netbook. This seems to be the best answer for my wireless whooas!! for some reason I could not get the regular Ubuntu to get the driver for the adapter right even looking through all the forums i could dig into. But now with this edition, I have no troubles at all its worth the time to change to 10.10 Netbook!!

Hope this helps anyone out there that had the same trouble i did!!

F_Lar