PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installation problem

jeggerleg
November 3rd, 2008, 02:11 AM
I've installed Ubuntu 8.10 on one of my two laptops without problem. I do have a problem with wireless internet connection but think I might be able to sort that out - and do have wired connection so can use the 'net.
My problem is the installation on the second of my laptops, an Acer Aspire. The install seems to go as intended until the reboot, it then reboots and goes to the Ubuntu screen after which this screen disappears and leaves me at what I assume is the system prompt.
I take it that some conflict is causing this and maybe some intervention on my part is needed. Sadly I have no idea what this might be. Can any light be shed on this??

Pumalite
November 3rd, 2008, 02:13 AM
What is your exact error message?

jeggerleg
November 3rd, 2008, 07:24 PM
What is your exact error message?

I'm not sure it is an error message.
I get a lot of text which begins "Loading please wait", followed by info about Ubuntu and then this:

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ and flashing cursor.

jeggerleg
November 7th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Not done to reply to your own thread I know, but I've now tried installing Ubuntu on a third machine, a work PC. The installation failed because of insufficient memory. This machine happily runs XP.
It seems Ubuntu/Linux isn't all it's cracked up to be.

One out of three isn't good in my book.

Pumalite
November 7th, 2008, 08:18 PM
It's probably a matter of hardware. Try the Alternate CD if you have 512 MB of RAM at least. If you have less than 384; try the Xubuntu Alternate CD.
BTW; did you try to boot your Live CD in 'Safe Graphics'?

jeggerleg
November 7th, 2008, 10:50 PM
It's probably a matter of hardware. Try the Alternate CD if you have 512 MB of RAM at least. If you have less than 384; try the Xubuntu Alternate CD.
BTW; did you try to boot your Live CD in 'Safe Graphics'?

Yes, tried that - same result. The work PC was only an experiment to see if it would install. The two laptops were an attempt at seriously using Ubuntu instead of *******.