PDA

View Full Version : what were the worst years of your life?

EnGorDiaz
November 2nd, 2008, 11:22 PM
right now teenage years pain in the ***

teenage years are like windows i discovered drugs i discovered alcohol and really bad addictions but for you what was the worst years of your life that you can look back and laugh at?

spoons
November 2nd, 2008, 11:41 PM
My very first year. I couldn't even walk.

mr.propre
November 2nd, 2008, 11:44 PM
Easy, everything before my 18.5, that was the day that I started to live on my own. 4 years later I still can't laugh about them...

zmjjmz
November 2nd, 2008, 11:46 PM
Probably 7th grade, because I was atheist but forced to go to Schechter.

chucky chuckaluck
November 3rd, 2008, 12:19 AM
childhood sucked. it's been a steady climb from 'not bad' to 'glorious' ever since.

Saint Angeles
November 3rd, 2008, 12:21 AM
childhood sucked. it's been a steady climb from 'not bad' to 'glorious' ever since.
agreed!

gletob
November 3rd, 2008, 12:23 AM
8th grade I got arrested for hitting my Science teacher in the head with a chair.

kavon89
November 3rd, 2008, 12:31 AM
8th grade i got arrested for hitting my science teacher in the head with a chair.

that was you?!

gletob
November 3rd, 2008, 12:34 AM
that was you?!

Well if you hadn't accused me of being a liar (Telling me I'm lying when I'm not really gets me PO'd) then it wouldn't have happened.

MaxIBoy
November 3rd, 2008, 12:39 AM
A swath of three years, from fourth to sixth grade. I don't remember a single happy day during that time (happy moments, but never a full day.) During that time, I was either sad or angry, nonstop. I remember the day I finally confided in my father. I realized I was in bad shape, and though I wasn't about to kill myself, I was worried that I might eventually sink that low. Talking to him really helped. After that, I was fine.

lisati
November 3rd, 2008, 12:41 AM
Probably 7th grade, because I was atheist but forced to go to Schechter.
Would it've made a difference it you'd wanted to go? The "forced" bit sounds as if there was some background tension.....

8th grade I got arrested for hitting my Science teacher in the head with a chair.
Haven't we all wanted to do something like that? Managed to suprise a science teacher while playing with a lit bunsen burner once, no damage done.

MaxIBoy
November 3rd, 2008, 12:45 AM
In 6th grade, I had this horrible old hag for a half of my classes. (History, English, Math.) Everyone hated her. Well, one day, while she had to leave the classroom for some reason, I hid her cordless phone behind some of the books on a bookshelf. No one reported me, and we all had a good laugh afterwords.

I got in trouble for it. Sure, I did it, but she had no proof. I think it was because I was the one laughing the hardest.

Good times...

gletob
November 3rd, 2008, 12:45 AM
Haven't we all wanted to do something like that? Managed to suprise a science teacher while playing with a lit bunsen burner once, no damage done.

Sure we all have wanted to but not all of us did it. (

handy
November 3rd, 2008, 12:49 AM
All of junior high school was tough.

I went to a school with approx' 2000 boys in a very tough municipality (at the time). There were fights before & after school, between & during class, on the weekends. There was a fundamentally flawed violent paradigm hanging over so much of the environment.

We moved to another town & life became rather wonderful after that.

I hurt myself 25 years ago, that changed my life with disabilities; there have been tough times due to that in the past, but all in all, I'm personally grateful, happy & content for all but a tiny percentage of my days. :KS

chucky chuckaluck
November 3rd, 2008, 01:05 AM

no skill at mocking? still pretty good, though.

benerivo
November 3rd, 2008, 01:09 AM
Apart from the death of family and friends, then it would have to be this year, when Rik Clay's blog was made famous, was removed from the internet, then he died (http://dedroidify.blogspot.com/2008/09/rip-rik-clay-1982-2008.html).

lukjad007
November 3rd, 2008, 01:21 AM
Hmmm... My bad times only seem bad in retrospect. I rarely was living and said, "This is a bad time". I usually look back and saw it for what it really was. The partial exception to this is every day in school. That was pain, pain, pain, pain, pain. It gets worse when I look back and see what the teachers did too.

Sealbhach
November 3rd, 2008, 01:23 AM
I'm going to be 40 next year so I have more time under my belt to compare.

I've had many ups and downs in this time but to me, the far worst time of my life was the five years spent in secondary school (high school?) from the ages 13 to 18. There was nothing I liked in my life then, everything was bleak and horrid all the way through.

That was followed by four of the most wonderful years of my life at university.

So, no matter how sh_1_tty it seems at times, just remember "this too shall pass".

aaaantoine
November 3rd, 2008, 02:41 AM
School sucked, but I always had my games to take the edge off.

My worst year was 2006, where I went from being one-half of a two-income family with its own apartment to moving in with my in-laws and perpetually floating on the brink of poverty.

Every year leading into and following that has been much better by comparison. I'm still with in-laws while I try to save up money to buy a house, but the shock of paradigm shift is worse than living in the paradigm.

cardinals_fan
November 3rd, 2008, 03:00 AM
3-4 years old, because I lived in St. Louis. Although I do retain a tiny bit of attachment to a certain baseball team... :D

johnb820
November 3rd, 2008, 03:45 AM
Definitely everything before I started college. Every moment in life is progress and to try and go backwards is to regress in life. I am glad so many here feel this way. I remember senior year in high school we had to write a paper about our childhood and I just couldn't do it, I didn't do it. Everyone in my class started reminiscing about things when they were no taller than a fire hydrant and I wanted to be like why are you even thinking about that? So much life is ahead.

kyalee
November 3rd, 2008, 04:00 AM
Sadly they seem to be still happening. Things haven't been so great since I graduated from college. But I'm hopeful some stuff might break soon, so...we'll see.

LaRoza
November 3rd, 2008, 04:08 AM
The summer when I was 14 to the summer I was 17. The entire 15th year of my life is something I wish to forget.

Corfy
November 3rd, 2008, 04:31 AM
For me, the single worst year would be 1986. I was 11.

Three days after my 11th birthday, I found out my parents were getting a divorce. It was not a pretty divorce, either, and my sister and I got caught in the crossfire. It got better as it went on, but that first year was particularly tough.

In addition, that July, my grandmother suffered a stroke. She never recovered, and died a few weeks later.

Next up would have to be my eighth and ninth grade years, when I attended four different schools (counting a middle school and a high school as different schools... if you don't want to count them as different schools, then I attended three school systems in those two years).

73ckn797
November 3rd, 2008, 04:34 AM
After 53 years I really cannot say there were any bad years. Yes, there have been plenty of times where I did not like the things that were going on but I have found the perspective to carry myself forward. "Forgetting what lies behind I press on". I have "learned" to be content in whatever situation I find myself in. I doubt that I will live to be 100 but what I have learned makes today all the more interesting. I know that tomorrow is not today and offers the opportunity to change that which I do not care for into that which I can use as a journey into more discovery of life. If I can share these years with others, good. They can do with it what they choose. That is the key, choice. How you deal with the stuff in life is a choice you have to make daily. Your attitude is something that no one or no thing can really affect. You are the one who decides how you will let it all affect you. These things are not always learned in the youthful years, however.

If I do live to be 100 and someone asks me why I think I have lived so long, I will honestly have to say that it is due to the simple fact that I have not died! :lolflag:

DougieFresh4U
November 3rd, 2008, 04:39 AM
1998 when I moved to N.Y. from Orlando and went to prison and have been in and out a few times on parole violations. Still dealing with it for one more year.
It has been an eye opening experience to say the least.

-grubby
November 3rd, 2008, 04:39 AM
a few months of this year were pretty depressing

C!oud
November 3rd, 2008, 04:41 AM
Right now, between IB, Marching Band, three Honor Societies, and a Christmas production I barely find time to breath :(

Chilli Bob
November 3rd, 2008, 07:46 AM
My entire 20's sucked. Can't see anything to laugh at looking back. Much better now though.

I really enjoyed senior high school, unlike most people.

etnlIcarus
November 3rd, 2008, 02:53 PM
It'd probably be quicker to list the years that didn't suck.

Well that was quick.

ghandi69_
November 3rd, 2008, 03:02 PM
It'd probably be quicker to list the years that didn't suck.

Well that was quick.

Things have been pretty awesome since as far back as I can remember.... Although, if I had to pick a 'worst' (which I don't is a worthwhile practice...) it would probably be my freshman year of college, because my girlfriend of 2 years broke up with me and I felt crappy about it. Although, looking back at it now, I realize how big of a loser I was then and how much that situation made me grow.

That year was still awesome though, as college in many ways is the best of all worlds and is a great time, if only it was financially feasible to stay there forever....

Eisenwinter
November 3rd, 2008, 03:09 PM
For me it was ages 0 - 16.

I hate humanity.

etnlIcarus
November 3rd, 2008, 03:11 PM
I'll assume you didn't quote me for any particular reason.

I hate humanity Why waste perfectly good hate on humanity?

ghandi69_
November 3rd, 2008, 03:12 PM
And also guys, I hope you all realize that everyone here is in complete control of their own happiness. There is no circumstance in life or situation that will arise of sequence of events that will make your life better or make you happier. The ONLY thing that changes your happiness in life are things that you are in complete control over, nothing outside of your control SHOULD EVER EFFECT your feelings about life. Everyone here has the power to immediately change their life, starting right now, because your happiness depends entirely on your own self. Its easy to understand this but much more difficult to practice it, but I personally believe it is one of the most important lessons someone can learn through out there life.

etnlIcarus
November 3rd, 2008, 03:17 PM
Deep. Frankly, I find happiness exhausting, though. Bored indifference to everyone and everything is a nice, realistic goal to aim for.

ghandi69_
November 3rd, 2008, 03:18 PM
Deep. Frankly, I find happiness exhausting, though. Bored indifference to everyone and everything is a nice, realistic goal to aim for.

Hey, if Bored indifference is what makes you happy, then go for it! ;-)

perlluver
November 3rd, 2008, 03:18 PM
When I was 15 me and my mother, along with her Ex-Fiance were in a terrible car accident. On the bright side of that though, it got us out of a bad situation so, the car accident was actually a life saver. Other than that school sucked, but I made it through that.

etnlIcarus
November 3rd, 2008, 03:20 PM
Hey, if Bored indifference is what makes you happy, then go for it! ;-)

Not so much happy as ...bored ...and indifferent. Might go watch some TV...

iponeverything
November 3rd, 2008, 03:31 PM
From the time I was born till the age of 26 my universe was the size of a shoe box.

At the age of 26 the lid was removed and I have been trying to climb out of it ever since. I have to admit that from the perspective that I have now, that even the years lost in a haze and the periods of unbearable pain were a pure bonus. Life is about mistakes, love, fear, pain and above all experience.

The most important thing that I have learned, is that I have nothing to lose, so why shouldn't I stick my neck out and dance like a fool.

lukjad007
November 3rd, 2008, 03:32 PM
And also guys, I hope you all realize that everyone here is in complete control of their own happiness. There is no circumstance in life or situation that will arise of sequence of events that will make your life better or make you happier. The ONLY thing that changes your happiness in life are things that you are in complete control over, nothing outside of your control SHOULD EVER EFFECT your feelings about life. Everyone here has the power to immediately change their life, starting right now, because your happiness depends entirely on your own self. Its easy to understand this but much more difficult to practice it, but I personally believe it is one of the most important lessons someone can learn through out there life.
I agree, but it does get hard when it feels like the whole world hates you. That's when a good friend really helps. For me, that was my mother.

spupy
November 3rd, 2008, 03:40 PM
19-20. First year abroad to study in university. Life is hard at first when your parents are suddenly far away.

andras artois
November 3rd, 2008, 03:40 PM
When I discovered girls and then the discovery of their moodswings/emotions.

davidkeithjones
November 3rd, 2008, 05:02 PM
I would say that I'm in the worst year of my life right now. I just turned 24 and my wife of five years broke up with me. Now I live away from my son and I'm up to my neck in debts from the relationship.

The important thing is finding the little rays of sunlight in daily life. I am still a happy person with a pretty good outlook on life. Things will get better and I will come out a much better man.

BTW playing around with Ubuntu on my lappy is providing me with many free hours of entertainment. This is a great distraction and the price can't be beat!!!

Ub1476
November 3rd, 2008, 05:21 PM

Actually, your happiness depends 50% on genes, 8-15% on where you live and the rest entirely upon you.

jomiolto
November 3rd, 2008, 05:22 PM
Well, you know, the ones since my birth, up to this moment. And it doesn't seem to be getting better either... :(

Private_Ops
November 3rd, 2008, 05:23 PM
9th grade year of high school.

Parents were getting divorced. My life went down the crapper... never had I been (and haven't been till this day) so depressed in my life. Sucks so bad getting caught in the middle of the fighting.

And this was only about 3 years ago. It's been great since then and I've actually benefited from it (it was better in the long run).

vikramaditya
November 3rd, 2008, 05:45 PM
Pardon my age, :shock: but the period beginning Oct. 8 of 1988 thru about mid-1992. I had quit my last band after 22 years as a full-time professional musician and transitioning to the real world was a real mofo!

ghandi69_
November 3rd, 2008, 06:02 PM
Actually, your happiness depends 50% on genes, 8-15% on where you live and the rest entirely upon you.

I don't know if your joking or not, but if your not, I respectfully disagree.

ankursethi
November 3rd, 2008, 06:24 PM
A few months ago I would've said high school, but looking back it seems I've never quite had the same amount of fun I had in high school. Sure, the last few months were like a near-death experience, but 90% of it was pure fun. College changes everything.

Anyway, college sucks right now. The reason? It's not exactly what I signed up for, and my parents would probably kill me if I said anything about dropping out and looking for a different course (or a job).

The worst years of your life will always be right now. In retrospect, everything looks nice and rosy.

derekr44
November 3rd, 2008, 06:24 PM
This year... by far... the worst I've ever lived through.

Ub1476
November 3rd, 2008, 06:57 PM

Well, here's my source:

http://reachout.com.au/default.asp?ti=2202

Thelasko
November 3rd, 2008, 10:36 PM
11-15 sucked, I always had someone telling me what I could and could not do. The summer after I turned 16 was awesome, I could drive, and I was working my butt off at my summer job and making lots of money. After I finished work, I would go out with my friends at night, I don't remember sleeping much.

When I was 17 my girlfriend broke up with me in the middle of the summer, I tried to make the best of it, but I was lonely.

College was a mixed bag. The semesters I got along with my roommates well were pretty good, but I studied way too much (I had too). The extra semester I was in school (due to work study) was terrible, because my friends had graduated. Many people say they wish they had stayed in college longer, but it gets weird after four years. Trust me, you are best off moving on.

The best times of my life have to be when I'm really busy making money and was surrounded by my friends. It seems that keeping busy is really important to being happy. If you are busy you don't have time to be unhappy. The one exception to this being studying. Studying never seemed to keep me fully occupied, I don't know why, I always felt bored. Keeping busy is also nice because you also have some money in your pocket. You could say, that's one less thing to worry about.;)

I also find that I'm much happier when there is at least a woman I interact with on a day to day basis. Lack of female interaction seems to drive me crazy, and it's an unfortunate side effect of some career choices. I don't know how some of the people here who go to all boy schools can handle it.

In summary, 11-15, part of 17, Freshman, Junior and super senior years of college were the worst years. Oh, I also hated 1st and 2nd grade.(teachers)

jacobw.uk
November 3rd, 2008, 11:18 PM
Hmm not sure. probably 2007. mental health problems, not really knowing what was going on. out of sync with reality and racked with anxiety all the time.

73ckn797
November 4th, 2008, 12:33 AM

BAHHHH!!!

It is a choice a person makes.

EnGorDiaz
November 4th, 2008, 12:46 AM
The summer when I was 14 to the summer I was 17. The entire 15th year of my life is something I wish to forget.

same here when i was 15 i oded on sleeping pills

Chilli Bob
November 4th, 2008, 02:09 AM

I'd say happiness depends 90% on lots of money and 10% on access to illegal fireworks.

That's on your number plates isn't it? "South Australia - State of Bored Indifference."

Nano Geek
November 4th, 2008, 02:18 AM
No bad years, but isolated bad times (Grandfather dying, etc.).

etnlIcarus
November 4th, 2008, 03:14 AM

Well, here's my source:

http://reachout.com.au/default.asp?ti=2202While I'm sceptical of the scientific reliability of that source, that does sound reasonably realistic.

BAHHHH!!!

It is a choice a person makes.Keep in mind, arguments for absolute human agency are only helpful to a small number of people. Most people react badly to being told their misery is their own fault.

Aside from that, saying life is what you make of it is quite insulting to people with real problems. Might try a bit of empathy, instead of catch-alls and mottos which merely sound good and exclude anyone who doesn't factor into your narrow equations about human nature, coping ability and circumstance.

That's on your number plates isn't it? "South Australia - State of Bored Indifference."

Actually, I believe the motto is, "At least we're not Tasmania".

L815
November 4th, 2008, 07:21 AM
Not sure, I'm in my head majority of the time. Live and let live.

Thelasko
November 4th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Just remember, you sometimes have to go through tough times to get to the good times. There are a number of reasons for this:

Tough times builds character, it makes you who you are.
They make the good times better by comparison.
You have to invest in yourself, and do the things that are really hard to do to make the good times possible. These can come in a variety of forms like:

sacrificing luxury to get yourself out of debt
study hard in school to get a better job
kick habits like smoking, drinking, overeating, or drug abuse.
Find time to exercise and get into shape
Seek mental help.

Many people feel like they don't have control of their life, especially those under 18. If you feel that you don't have control of your life, seek counseling. You have a choice about everything you do. However, you may not always like the consequences.

etnlIcarus
November 5th, 2008, 01:46 AM
I'd be more inclined to start doing drugs and avoid mental help. Then again, I've had some pretty bad experience with shrinks.

They make the good times better by comparison.Err, no. At least not in serious cases. Negative experiences actually tend to poison good ones. Whether it be through emotional scarring, neuroses, the development of maladaptive behavioural patterns as a coping mechanism or simple negative association with actions which are not inherently negative, the 'bad times' will have an overall detrimental effect on your state-of-mind and leave you weakened, weary and aversed to any experience which has the potential for negative consequences. That is to say, most experiences have the potential to backfire.

Thelasko
November 5th, 2008, 05:00 PM
I'd be more inclined to start doing drugs and avoid mental help. Then again, I've had some pretty bad experience with shrinks.

Err, no. At least not in serious cases. Negative experiences actually tend to poison good ones. Whether it be through emotional scarring, neuroses, the development of maladaptive behavioural patterns as a coping mechanism or simple negative association with actions which are not inherently negative, the 'bad times' will have an overall detrimental effect on your state-of-mind and leave you weakened, weary and aversed to any experience which has the potential for negative consequences. That is to say, most experiences have the potential to backfire.

I guess I classify "bad times" differently than you do. What you are describing sounds more like trauma (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_trauma). Regardless, I stand by what I said, seek help and find a support group for people who have experienced the same sort of trauma.

Most importantly, if that trauma is still occurring, make it stop. You have the power to do so.

cmat
November 5th, 2008, 05:17 PM
Senior years of high school trying to get into university. But looking back they weren't as bad as I felt at the time. As time goes on you get a greater scope of events in your life and you see how insignificant they are.

Lord DarkPat
November 5th, 2008, 06:47 PM
7th grade. That was just depressing; I thought it was gone for good, but the same problem practically came back to me.
My current experiences actually made me suicidal for a while.

jonobr
November 5th, 2008, 06:50 PM
The hardest 4 years of my life was 6th grade :p

jonobr
November 5th, 2008, 06:51 PM
etnlIcarus

Thats a fabulous avatar,
Yes minister!! superb!!

blazercist
November 5th, 2008, 06:53 PM
2009, 2010, 2011, 2012.

Ripfox
November 5th, 2008, 07:09 PM
next year :lolflag:

mips
November 5th, 2008, 07:21 PM
etnlIcarus

Thats a fabulous avatar,
Yes minister!! superb!!

Father Jack, where would his avatar be from as I'm sure I recognise it from somewhere, just cannot remember?

EDIT: Never mind, from the series Yes Minister on BBC.

Btw, I have the entire Father Ted collection on DVD. Next mission is Faulty Towers ;)

jonobr
November 5th, 2008, 07:24 PM
The wiki know best :-) , vintage BBC,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yes_Minister

Cheers

PS - DRINK!!!!!!!! GIRLS!!!!!!!!!!!!

73ckn797
November 5th, 2008, 11:26 PM
Aside from that, saying life is what you make of it is quite insulting to people with real problems. Might try a bit of empathy, instead of catch-alls and mottos which merely sound good and exclude anyone who doesn't factor into your narrow equations about human nature, coping ability and circumstance.

A person's state of mind in relation to happiness is only what you make of or choose to do with the circumstances you find yourself in. Certainly there are those who do not handle things well. I do not make the comments to insult anyone.

etnlIcarus
November 6th, 2008, 02:31 AM
etnlIcarus

Thats a fabulous avatar,
Yes minister!! superb!!

"*** off" :P

Lord DarkPat
November 7th, 2008, 09:08 PM
The thing is, it's really awful when it feels like the whole world hates you. There are these times that when you do something/anything, people shout and yell at you; same when you do nothing.
A friend helps a lot. IRC saved me from depression. :|

steveneddy
November 7th, 2008, 09:09 PM
marriage

mustang
November 7th, 2008, 09:17 PM
Senior years of high school trying to get into university. But looking back they weren't as bad as I felt at the time. As time goes on you get a greater scope of events in your life and you see how insignificant they are.

Same thoughts here :)

sanderella
November 7th, 2008, 09:44 PM
Age 16 to 21, working in the civil service.:(

blakjesus
November 8th, 2008, 12:27 AM
Wow... Alot of this stuff is pretty depressing. :( Before i continue, if anyone here is going through a rough time in your life and need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me.

Anyways mine would probably be a downward slope starting when i was 13. My parents kept me sheltered from alot of things outside my little "box". 13 was when i was first sent to a public school. I was completely alone. No friends, my dad's job kept him away from home %75 of the time, and when my dad was home my parents were arguing and fighting most of the time.

Then in the 10th grade my family moved to the other side of the globe, and i was even more isolated. I was also beginning to feel depressed. It came to the point where every night i would stay up trying to think of reasons not to kill myself. I had no one to talk to.

Then my family moved back the US in the second half of 11th grade. This time at school i made friends, but they were the completely wrong kind. I started to take hard drugs that i eventually formed somewhat of an addiction to. I also began getting into arguments with my mom alot.

In the 12th grade i started to have a little thought in my head that i was going down a very slippery slope downward. My parents were considering a divorce and somehow ended up lashing out at me. They started calling me a failure and their "bad son". Eventually i dropped out of school, left my house without warning, and started doing even more drugs than before.

After hitting perhaps the lowest point in my life, i started to reflect and see were my life was headed. I started trying to quit, and i also started to mend my relationship with my parents. Eventually i was able to stop doing drugs, i severed my connection to the my friends that were dragging me down with them while keeping those that i realise now that truly were my friends, and my parents decided to pay for me to get my GED through an online school (which i should have in a few months :)). Now i mended the relationship with my parents and i think maybe they realised how my situation was affected by them and it seems they are behaving differently around my younger sister which makes me glad.

I really wouldn't have been able to make it without realising who my true friends were and focusing on them. Now i'm happy to say my life is on the right track and i'm on my way to college. I can only imagine my life going upwards from here. :mrgreen:

etnlIcarus
November 8th, 2008, 03:53 AM
Last edited by bapoumba; 1 Day Ago at 04:02 PM.. Reason: Language Firstly, it wasn't a swear word. Secondly, it's a reference to a television programme. Oh, what is the world coming to.

rage-against-windows
November 8th, 2008, 04:03 AM
21-29 being married to Satans youngest daughter.