PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install Ubuntu 8.10 to USB Hard Drive

funnyguyfunnyguy
November 2nd, 2008, 10:36 PM
I've been using Ubuntu 8.04 on an external usb hard drive for the past six months, and I want to start from scratch, installing Ubuntu 8.10 to the external hard drive; however, from the install program on the live CD, I can no longer select the external hard drive as an install location. (Ubuntu does, however, recognize my internal hard drive as a possible install location, and both the internal and external drives are visible from GParted.) I know the 8.10 has a special "USB Flash Drive" install utility, but I don't want to do this. I am simply trying to install Ubuntu to my hard drive, which happens to be an external USB hard drive. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Steve

wlake
November 3rd, 2008, 09:51 PM
I have the exact same problem. I did find I could install Xubuntu RC1 to my external hard drive. Since this has worked fine, I haven't downloaded the official release of Xubuntu to try that. I am thinking about installing Xubuntu to another partition on my external HD and then installing the Gnome desktop on top of that, but haven't done it yet.
Regards,
wlake

mehraan
November 23rd, 2008, 11:14 PM
I have the same problem. Any clues?

hooksie007
January 19th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Same here also..?

hooksie007
January 19th, 2009, 06:25 PM
Ok, got it to work...

Using a Seagate 40GB USB HD, tried to install multiple times after Live CD boot, but no go. Even tried formatted drive, ext3, reisnerfs, fat 32, all didn't work.
But I did read another thread about installing 8.04 to a usb device an it worked. All you need to do is install from the boot screen instead of booting into a live session. For some reason it works, but just to let you know I had my internal HD unplugged, which I also had it unplugged when I tried to install from a live session...
I left it unplugged because I didn't want it to screw up my GRUB on my work computer.

Pretty happy here, first time I was able to actually help instead of waiting for an answer!