PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth upgrading to Intrepid?

NintendoTogepi
November 2nd, 2008, 09:51 PM
My only Ubuntu computer isn't really that good. Is it worth upgrading to Intrepid, since it'll probably run slower?

AndyCooll
November 2nd, 2008, 11:09 PM
You could do a minimal install. This installs the barebones and you then add what extras you need.

Having said that, if you're happy with what's already on your Ubuntu pc you can always stick with what you have ...after all, there isn't a legal requirement insisting that you upgrade.

:cool:

Grant A.
November 2nd, 2008, 11:13 PM
If you are on Kubuntu I would highly recommend it. KDE 4.1 is much better than KDE 4.

Crafty Kisses
November 2nd, 2008, 11:18 PM
It's all up to you, do you feel like you need to upgrade?

Vitamin-Carrot
November 3rd, 2008, 12:14 AM
I have not had any issues with Intrepid, it hasnt been slow for me the only bug i have come across is the nvidia 177 driver issue where when using the Human theme the windows Title bar loses the theme and grays out while the mouse is over it, the work around is to use a custom theme.

But all good here its not slow for me.

ginbuntu
November 3rd, 2008, 12:24 AM
I am running Intrepid amd64 and it seems snappier. :-) I like it so far. Only flash is pissing me off when watching youtube videos. Sometimes I get a gray box instead of the player window. I have to refresh the page a few times to get the player to display and see the video. But this is adobe fault for nor releasing a 64bit version for Linux.

NintendoTogepi
November 3rd, 2008, 05:52 AM
It's all up to you, do you feel like you need to upgrade?

No, Hardy is good, but I don't know much about Intrepid.

vishzilla
November 3rd, 2008, 05:58 AM
I recommend to upgrade to Intrepid

Crusty Juggler
November 3rd, 2008, 06:43 AM
I am running Intrepid amd64 and it seems snappier. :-) I like it so far. Only flash is pissing me off when watching youtube videos. Sometimes I get a gray box instead of the player window. I have to refresh the page a few times to get the player to display and see the video. But this is adobe fault for nor releasing a 64bit version for Linux.

That's been driving me crazy! I'm sorry you're having troubles, but it makes me happy that it's not just me...

northwestuntu
November 3rd, 2008, 07:48 AM
man this flash thing is just driving me nuts. :mad:

SomeGuyDude
November 3rd, 2008, 07:55 AM
Flash is one reason I abandoned 64-bit for the time being.

Anyway, Intrepid > Hardy.

macogw
November 3rd, 2008, 07:58 AM
In my opinion: no. The new features list is short, and what's on it isn't exactly useful. It's not worth it.

fullmetalgerbil
November 3rd, 2008, 07:59 AM
I don't know, I upgraded to Intrepid and immediately had problems. Enough so that I was ready to swear off Ubuntu for good. Reinstalled Hardy and it works much, much better though I may still defect to CentOS.
It's just that I ran Gutsy with no apparent bugs outside a flash glitch that was easily solved, upgraded to Hardy with a couple of complications and it wouldn't run on all my machines-but generally, aside from frequent Firefox crashes, its worked ok...and now I try Intrepid and its unusable. It just seems that at least in my case each release cycle has brought worse problems.
I'd like to see a release with zero new features and 100% out of the box stability and usability. You'd think something like that would be a priority.

earthpigg
November 3rd, 2008, 08:23 AM
i found intrepid far better than heron.

-my laptop's wireless worked immediately upon fresh install, this was not the case with heron.
-sound was not broken out of the box, which it was on heron.
-the 177 vs 173 nvidia driver thing was annoying, but then i realized all i had to do was actually read what was on the screen in front of me and stop being dumb, and click where it told me to click and bam problem solved.