PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu & iMac, Please read...

guss606
November 2nd, 2008, 09:29 PM
Hey guys, how you all doin?

I went to the market 2 days ago, and i saw the iMac 24" (Core 2 Due 3.06GHz / 4GB RAM / GeForce 8800 512MB), i loved it so much and now I'm planning to get one.

Being an Ubuntu user (using Ubuntu since July 2008), and an Windows user since for ever, i loved the Ubuntu very much and i convinced most of friends to convert to it, now I'm wondering IF i bought the iMac, would i be able to install Ubuntu on it? and will there be any conflicts (Ubuntu with iMac hardware) or any other conflicts?

Please guys i need your opinions about this thing, cuz i don't want to regret buying the iMac, and i don't want to stop using Ubuntu.
Thank you in advance...

Phreaker
November 2nd, 2008, 09:30 PM
Since it is x86, there should not be a problem, I think

zekopeko
November 2nd, 2008, 10:46 PM
might i suggest that you wait a month or so. apple will refresh the line with new imacs so getting one now is really a bad decision.

SunnyRabbiera
November 2nd, 2008, 11:23 PM
Also apples's have heavy $$$ attached to them, so its better to save up.
I think apple will die in the next year truth be told if the economy gets worse.

Grant A.
November 2nd, 2008, 11:26 PM
I think apple will die in the next year truth be told if the economy gets worse.

Have you seen the value of AAPL stock to MSFT stock lately? I think Microsoft will tank before Apple does.

Frak
November 2nd, 2008, 11:31 PM
AAPL is doing better than MSFT right now.

Anyways, wait till the new line rolls out. You'll like it, as it's nearly (99.999999%) impossible to kill. Nearly everything can be fixed with a quick Command + Option + P + R on startup.

SunnyRabbiera
November 2nd, 2008, 11:31 PM
Have you seen the value of AAPL stock to MSFT stock lately? I think Microsoft will tank before Apple does.

perhaps, but still apple will tank too if they dont change something and make cheaper computers that have decent specs and are easy to update

mr.propre
November 2nd, 2008, 11:33 PM

Hmm, do the math. There are 888.33M Apple Shares against 8.90B MS shares... The price of one share doesn't mean a thing, at least how far I know finance...

KiwiNZ
November 2nd, 2008, 11:41 PM

I think I have been hearing this for about the last 8 years

The metrics do not back the claim

Frak
November 2nd, 2008, 11:44 PM

Aye, Price is what you pay, Value is what you get.

The only gripe I have with Apple is iWork Pages. I see it as a overly interface-polished MS-Word, for which it has the format of hell functionality. I can cope with Word, not so much with Pages.

mr.propre
November 2nd, 2008, 11:49 PM

I don't know, looking back into time there top moment was around Christmas 2007.

toupeiro
November 2nd, 2008, 11:50 PM
People will spend money on apple regardless of the fact they can get much better value with .. just about any hardware manufacturer. Why? Because of who they market to. People who buy apple computers want an apple more than they want it to compute anything. Not to mention, as long as poeple think iPods are the best thing since sliced bread, apple isn't in any real danger of disappearing... Think about it, until the Wii, Nintendo's only real cash cow was the Game Boy line, they kept the company going until their next big hit. This is what iPods are to Apple. They could literally reinvent themselves as a mobile device company and ditch their computer Hardware/OS line and still survive IMO.. Why? Again, because people who buy apple want apple, regardless of what it happens to be.

my .02

handy
November 3rd, 2008, 12:06 AM
Hey guys, how you all doin?

I went to the market 2 days ago, and i saw the iMac 24" (Core 2 Due 3.06GHz / 4GB RAM / GeForce 8800 512MB), i loved it so much and now I'm planning to get one.

Being an Ubuntu user (using Ubuntu since July 2008), and an Windows user since for ever, i loved the Ubuntu very much and i convinced most of friends to convert to it, now I'm wondering IF i bought the iMac, would i be able to install Ubuntu on it? and will there be any conflicts (Ubuntu with iMac hardware) or any other conflicts?

Please guys i need your opinions about this thing, cuz i don't want to regret buying the iMac, and i don't want to stop using Ubuntu.
Thank you in advance...

I run an alu' 24" iMac. (That's to catch you attention.) ;-)

I had initially set it up as a dual boot, installing Ubuntu on it, then after discovering Arch I installed Arch on it. Here is a pretty comprehensive how-to that I wrote in the Arch forums & then put in the Arch wiki, it covers all of the stuff apart from the actual installation of Arch, so it is applicable no matter which distro' is being installed on the iMac:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/IMac_Aluminium

There is very good detailed information in the above linked article about how to set up your iMac partition wise it also explains the GPT partitioning scheme & the essential rEFIt installation, including simple editing of the refit.conf, right through to sound & brightness control. I don't think I missed anything except setting up the iMac keyboard, which I don't use as I consider it to be trouble & I also don't like to use it, my MS Ditital Media keyboard allows me to adjust volume out of the box & the windows keys are automatically mapped as Apple command keys. The wiki article also has links to greater technical detail on EFI & other subjects for those that require/desire it.

The wiki page gives instruction for installing Gnome & other software in Arch, though since then I moved on to Openbox & am now using the incredibly simple to install & setup XFCE4 on Arch.

My iMac works beautifully with Linux, which I much prefer to OS X's Leopard, because I have all of the control, not Apple's designers.

Frak
November 3rd, 2008, 12:08 AM
People will spend money on apple regardless of the fact they can get much better value with .. just about any hardware manufacturer. Why? Because of who they market to. People who buy apple computers want an apple more than they want it to compute anything. Not to mention, as long as poeple think iPods are the best thing since sliced bread, apple isn't in any real danger of disappearing... Think about it, until the Wii, Nintendo's only real cash cow was the Game Boy line, they kept the company going until their next big hit. This is what iPods are to Apple. They could literally reinvent themselves as a mobile device company and ditch their computer Hardware/OS line and still survive IMO.. Why? Again, because people who buy apple want apple, regardless of what it happens to be.

my .02
Thank you for speaking my exact reasons for buying Apple products. I truly thank you for that.

/sarcasm

handy
November 3rd, 2008, 12:14 AM

my .02

Go & post in these threads:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=320499

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=957118

The OP was not asking for your opinion on whether he/she should buy an Apple, or who he/she should vote for, or for your psychological critique on ALL of those people that buy Apple products.

Reread the OP & if you can't answer the question, then don't.

y@w
November 3rd, 2008, 12:31 AM
There's some Ubuntu community documentation in the wiki for running Ubuntu on an iMac. I haven't done it personally but I know a few people who have run Ubuntu on their MacBooks and it works quite well.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Intel_iMac

As far as whether you should buy a iMac.. I think the Apple hardware is awesome. It's definitely priced high, but you get what you pay for in life..