PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Ubuntu 8.10 Wifi Woes

Haluci
November 2nd, 2008, 08:29 PM
Per the output of lspci, I have a 0c:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4328 802.11a/b/g/n (rev 01) wireless card. After installing Ubuntu, the hardware drivers tool offered me a wireless driver (fwcutter) for this wireless card. After enabling this driver, my wi-fi card did not work. So, following many tutorials on this forum, I tried ndiswrapper. It appears that I have installed the driver ok, the output of ndiswrapper -l gives me this:

bcmwl5 : driver installed
device (14E4:4328) present (alternate driver: wl)

and the green light on my wifi card is on, but I still have no wireless. I've tried nidswrapper -m and modprobe ndiswrapper with no success.

So, I suppose my question is if anybody has some troubleshooting ideas as to why my wireless card doesn't work, or if anybody knows of a good tutorial for configuring fwcutter.

Thanks!

EDIT: I'm trudging through the massive ndiswrapper post stickied here as you're reading this. I'll update this as needed.

EDIT: here's my output from lshw -C Network

*-network
description: Network controller
product: BCM4328 802.11a/b/g/n
vendor: Broadcom Corporation
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:0c:00.0
version: 01
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list
configuration: driver=b43-pci-bridge latency=0 module=ssb

If I do rmmod ssb, I have to do rmmod b44, which breaks my wired connection.

EDIT: I've blacklisted ssb and b44 and added ndiswrapper to the list of modules to be loaded on startup, but for some reason they still load on boot.

EDIT: This is all that dmesg | grep -e ndis -e wlan gives me:

[ 17.862895] ndiswrapper version 1.53 loaded (smp=yes, preempt=no)
[ 18.050202] usbcore: registered new interface driver ndiswrapper

EDIT: Even installing from source doesn't work. Here's the errors I get:

root@roycenh-laptop:~/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53# make
make -C driver
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/roycenh/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver'
make -C /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.27-7-generic M=/home/roycenh/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.27-7-generic'
LD /home/roycenh/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/built-in.o
MKEXPORT /home/roycenh/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/crt_exports.h
MKEXPORT /home/roycenh/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/hal_exports.h
MKEXPORT /home/roycenh/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/ndis_exports.h
MKEXPORT /home/roycenh/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/ntoskernel_exports.h
MKEXPORT /home/roycenh/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/ntoskernel_io_exports.h
MKEXPORT /home/roycenh/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/rtl_exports.h
MKEXPORT /home/roycenh/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/usb_exports.h
CC [M] /home/roycenh/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/crt.o
CC [M] /home/roycenh/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/hal.o
CC [M] /home/roycenh/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.o
/home/roycenh/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c: In function ‘ndis_translate_scan’:
/home/roycenh/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1037: warning: passing argument 1 of ‘iwe_stream_add_event’ from incompatible pointer type
/home/roycenh/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1037: warning: passing argument 3 of ‘iwe_stream_add_event’ from incompatible pointer type
/home/roycenh/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1037: warning: passing argument 4 of ‘iwe_stream_add_event’ makes pointer from integer without a cast
/home/roycenh/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1037: error: too few arguments to function ‘iwe_stream_add_event’
/home/roycenh/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1047: warning: passing argument 1 of ‘iwe_stream_add_point’ from incompatible pointer type
/home/roycenh/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1047: warning: passing argument 3 of ‘iwe_stream_add_point’ from incompatible pointer type
/home/roycenh/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1047: warning: passing argument 4 of ‘iwe_stream_add_point’ from incompatible pointer type
/home/roycenh/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1047: error: too few arguments to function ‘iwe_stream_add_point’
/home/roycenh/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1053: warning: passing argument 1 of ‘iwe_stream_add_event’ from incompatible pointer type
/home/roycenh/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1053: warning: passing argument 3 of ‘iwe_stream_add_event’ from incompatible pointer type
/home/roycenh/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1053: warning: passing argument 4 of ‘iwe_stream_add_event’ makes pointer from integer without a cast
/home/roycenh/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1053: error: too few arguments to function ‘iwe_stream_add_event’
/home/roycenh/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1064: warning: passing argument 1 of ‘iwe_stream_add_event’ from incompatible pointer type
/home/roycenh/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1064: warning: passing argument 3 of ‘iwe_stream_add_event’ from incompatible pointer type
/home/roycenh/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1064: warning: passing argument 4 of ‘iwe_stream_add_event’ makes pointer from integer without a cast
/home/roycenh/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1064: error: too few arguments to function ‘iwe_stream_add_event’
/home/roycenh/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1079: warning: passing argument 1 of ‘iwe_stream_add_event’ from incompatible pointer type
/home/roycenh/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1079: warning: passing argument 3 of ‘iwe_stream_add_event’ from incompatible pointer type
/home/roycenh/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1079: warning: passing argument 4 of ‘iwe_stream_add_event’ makes pointer from integer without a cast
/home/roycenh/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1079: error: too few arguments to function ‘iwe_stream_add_event’
/home/roycenh/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1093: warning: passing argument 1 of ‘iwe_stream_add_event’ from incompatible pointer type
/home/roycenh/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1093: warning: passing argument 3 of ‘iwe_stream_add_event’ from incompatible pointer type
/home/roycenh/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1093: warning: passing argument 4 of ‘iwe_stream_add_event’ makes pointer from integer without a cast
/home/roycenh/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1093: error: too few arguments to function ‘iwe_stream_add_event’
/home/roycenh/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1104: warning: passing argument 1 of ‘iwe_stream_add_point’ from incompatible pointer type
/home/roycenh/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1104: warning: passing argument 3 of ‘iwe_stream_add_point’ from incompatible pointer type
/home/roycenh/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1104: warning: passing argument 4 of ‘iwe_stream_add_point’ from incompatible pointer type
/home/roycenh/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1104: error: too few arguments to function ‘iwe_stream_add_point’
/home/roycenh/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1120: warning: passing argument 1 of ‘iwe_stream_add_value’ from incompatible pointer type
/home/roycenh/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1120: warning: passing argument 4 of ‘iwe_stream_add_value’ from incompatible pointer type
/home/roycenh/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1120: warning: passing argument 5 of ‘iwe_stream_add_value’ makes pointer from integer without a cast
/home/roycenh/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1120: error: too few arguments to function ‘iwe_stream_add_value’
/home/roycenh/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1131: warning: passing argument 1 of ‘iwe_stream_add_point’ from incompatible pointer type
/home/roycenh/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1131: warning: passing argument 3 of ‘iwe_stream_add_point’ from incompatible pointer type
/home/roycenh/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1131: warning: passing argument 4 of ‘iwe_stream_add_point’ from incompatible pointer type
/home/roycenh/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1131: error: too few arguments to function ‘iwe_stream_add_point’
/home/roycenh/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1137: warning: passing argument 1 of ‘iwe_stream_add_point’ from incompatible pointer type
/home/roycenh/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1137: warning: passing argument 3 of ‘iwe_stream_add_point’ from incompatible pointer type
/home/roycenh/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1137: warning: passing argument 4 of ‘iwe_stream_add_point’ from incompatible pointer type
/home/roycenh/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1137: error: too few arguments to function ‘iwe_stream_add_point’
/home/roycenh/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1159: warning: passing argument 1 of ‘iwe_stream_add_point’ from incompatible pointer type
/home/roycenh/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1159: warning: passing argument 3 of ‘iwe_stream_add_point’ from incompatible pointer type
/home/roycenh/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1159: warning: passing argument 4 of ‘iwe_stream_add_point’ from incompatible pointer type
/home/roycenh/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1159: error: too few arguments to function ‘iwe_stream_add_point’
make[3]: *** [/home/roycenh/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** [_module_/home/roycenh/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.27-7-generic'
make[1]: *** [modules] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/roycenh/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver'
make: *** [all] Error 2

EDIT: After stumbling around for a while doing random things I finally got this to work. Never mind this post.

EDIT: To those of you who wondered what I ended up doing:

sudo rmmod b43
sudo rmmod b44
sudo rmmod b43legacy
sudo rmmod wl
sudo rmmod ssb
sudo rmmod ndiswrapper
sudo modprobe ndiswrapper
sudo modprobe ssb
sudo modprobe b44

And then to preserve this through reboots:

echo -e '#Hardy ssb/ndiswrapper workaround, added' `date` '\ninstall ndiswrapper modprobe -r b43 b44 b43legacy ssb; modprobe --ignore-install ndiswrapper $CMDLINE_OPTS; modprobe ssb; modprobe b44;' | sudo tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper