PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Vista trashed, will linux be gone if I reinstall vista?

Morty007
November 2nd, 2008, 07:45 PM
I've been dual booting Ubuntu and Vista. Kaspersky antivirus recently messed up my vista, but of course my linux is fine.

Question- If I reinstall vista (mainly for ipod/itunes reasons only) then will my linux be wiped out? I have it on a separate partition, with vista being the first one. I would like to continue to dual boot.

XemeX
November 2nd, 2008, 08:08 PM
If the other partition remains untouched, system will be OK. After installation, however, you will have to restore Grub or use EasyCD to add Ubuntu to your boot menu.
Little howto available here :) (http://apcmag.com/how_to_dualboot_vista_with_linux_vista_installed_f irst.htm?page=4)

Morty007
November 3rd, 2008, 03:13 AM
Ok, so we don't know then if vista will touch the other partion? Is there anyway to find out or do I just have to jump in with both feet?

XemeX
November 3rd, 2008, 11:46 AM
It depends on what install parameters you'll choose (assuming that you own an installaltion DVD and not a recovery one since the latter works in a completely different way).