PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu and Vista Question

nikRbokR
November 2nd, 2008, 06:24 PM
Hi,

I have been using Ubuntu by installing it on my external hard drive, but I'm trying to decide whether its time to just install in on my internal hard drive.

First, some details:
-I have 2 hard drives in the computer: one has Vista, the other XP. I am not currently "dual-booting", but if I want to use XP (rarely), I just switch the initial start-up disk (in BIOS).
-There are four partitions (2 on the XP hard drive, 2 on the Vista hard drive)
-I have a total of 500GB of space (250 GB each... but I only want to do stuff on the "Vista hard drive")

I know that I have the hardware requirements for Vista and Ubuntu, so I just need to clarify a few questions:

1) How do I keep it so that Vista is my main OS. I will probably be the only one using Ubuntu in the house, so I only want to use it when I decide to.

2) Should I install GRUB? Where should I install it (on the new partition for Ubuntu?)

3) Is it possible for me to do this w/o much hassle, meaning none of that EasyBCD or other bootloaders.

4) If I do partition the HD and have Ubuntu on the "vista hard drive", how can I set it up so that, when I get the option in the BIOS, I can go into "Select Boot Device" (or something like that) and choose Ubuntu? (If I do that now, w/ the external drive, it shows Ubuntu (3 versions), Windows XP, and Windows Vista/Longhorn). However, I'm not sure if I can get it to do that if I only use a partition.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have found stuff online to dual-boot Vista and Ubuntu... but I'm not quite sure if its the right option for me.

Thanks!:)