PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Installation issue

DGZDGZ
November 2nd, 2008, 06:00 PM
having installed Xbuntu on an old laptop and liking it, i decieded to remove XP from my desktop and replace it with xbuntu.

I've formatted the hard drive, then booted the an 8.10 ubuntu cd, which worked fine in 'live cd' mode. The install then starts fine, but sticks at 'copying files @ 23%). after running the 'check disc' function and trying again, i decieded to try the Xbuntu disc that i used to successfuly install on my laptop- only excatly the same thing happened. I then tried to a different distro (pclinux i think) to see if it was ubuntu, but it crashed out during install too :confused::confused:

This leads me to think that my desktop is incompatable with linux. I'm not too sure how to check the motherboard manufacturer, but although it old the computer ran XP no problem.

can anyone shine any light on this problem.

thanks in advance.

taurus
November 2nd, 2008, 06:11 PM
You can try using the alternate CD to install it on your old desktop. Also, don't forget to burn it at a slow speed since some old machines "choke" on fast burning CD.

DGZDGZ
November 2nd, 2008, 07:23 PM
i'll give that a try, and let you know how it goes mate cheers.

DGZDGZ
November 2nd, 2008, 09:08 PM
I just burned an copy of 8.04 @ x1, and it too stuck at 22%. It looks suspiciously like i ain't going to manage to get any thing installed.

only thing that bothers me is that if it my hardware wasn't compatible, would i get so far into the installation process?

tugh
November 2nd, 2008, 09:39 PM
Did you check the cd for defects before installing? One problem I had in the past is that when I use cheap blank CDs, it kept crashing. So, use a brand CD, such as TDK or Sony.

DGZDGZ
November 2nd, 2008, 10:01 PM
hi mate. Yeah i ran the disc check first and it came up fine. I've now tried 4 different discs, one of which i have already installed in my laptop. ,My CDR's are tesco i think, so if all else fails i'll try changing. i'm gonna have a search around to see how to boot from a usb drive and try that (if it's possible)

All installs stop at 22%, weird!

taurus
November 2nd, 2008, 10:13 PM
What's the spec of your machine?

DGZDGZ
November 2nd, 2008, 10:44 PM
i don't know excatly, it's low spec now but it was build to run XP (which it handled no problem), think it's an 2200 athlon processer with 256mb memory installed.

what's the command to check from the boot menu?

I just assumed that it'd handle X/Ubuntu because it was ok with XP?

taurus
November 2nd, 2008, 10:47 PM
If it's an old machine, why not use the alternate CD to install it instead of the desktop version? Have you tried the alternate CD?