PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Does this make sense as a partition schema for a LAMP server?

chrisofarabia
November 2nd, 2008, 05:10 PM
Drive Partition Type Mounted on Size

Drive0
/dev/sda1 Primary / 5 GB
/dev/sda2 Primary /var 3 GB
/dev/sda3 Primary /home (remainder of disk)
/dev/sda4 Primary (swap area) 2 GB

Drive1
/dev/sdb1 Primary / 5 GB
/dev/sdb2 Primary /var 3 GB
/dev/sdb3 Primary /home (remainder of disk)
/dev/sdb4 Primary (swap area) 2 GB

Note: This is not a production server and is only intended as a home development box. It has two 320GB HDDs that are to be set up as RAID1

chrisofarabia
November 2nd, 2008, 08:20 PM
...bump

chrisofarabia
November 3rd, 2008, 07:45 PM
Anyone want to offer an opinion, or should I try a similar question in the server forum?

leg
November 3rd, 2008, 08:21 PM
Ok heres my opinion. If you are setting the server up so that users home directory is to be used as public facing then you are fine. If not and all material is to be stored in /var/www then I would have larger capacity there.

Also if this is not a production server I am not so sure I would bother setting up raid on it and use the second disk for something else. I would be tempted to have all the system stuff on disk 0 and split the second disk between /var and /home.

Hope this helps in some way.

chrisofarabia
November 3rd, 2008, 08:46 PM
Yep, that's the sort of information I'm looking for. I'm slowly getting my head around the way in which the file structures are set up in Ubuntu and han't twigged that /www was sitting under /var - so I'll adjust there. I'll keep the RAID1, just for that little extra protection - the chance are that I won't fill up the space any time soon and I'm comfortable I understand the set-up process.

chrisofarabia
November 6th, 2008, 09:24 PM
Finally went with the following:

/ ] 5 Gb
/usr ] 5 Gb
/var ] 100 Gb
/home ] 208.1 Gb
swap ] 2 Gb

Got the RAID1 set up without any issues and install went on a treat at last.