PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] in 8.10 no *dm works

shamran
November 2nd, 2008, 01:56 PM
Greetings all, I have read a lot of post about problems with X and I have tried all to no avail.

I had a 8.04 working without any problems witch I updated with a alternate cd. The installation worked flawlessly but upon reboot i see a orange screen for less than a second where after the screen turns to white and freezes completely. I can switch with ctr+alt I can't reboot with ctr+alt+del.

I the tried to remove compiz via recoverymode with no luck.
I tried the xfix -no luck

I installed kdm instead an with that i can see the login promt, but when I login the screen turns black for a short while and I'm back to the login promt.

I installed xdm, and there I see the login screen but the background is flickering like a broken tv. and it also returns me to the login screen after login.

I then downloaded the live cd and cheked my memory and the validity of the cd, both are ok.

When booting normaly form the cd it freezes. BUT when selecting the 'safe grapics" option it boots normaly in gnome an everything looks ok.

So PLEASE what does that option do, and can use that on my installed linux.

Many thanks in advanced

/Shamran

edit: Im using my linux as a server, and it runs on a integrated videocard so it not a nvidia problem.