PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Intel 4965 wireless

florus
November 2nd, 2008, 12:28 PM
The Intrepid release notes state that systems with an Intel 4965 wireless chip will lock up after upgrading and that an updated driver is required. Can I install the new driver before the upgrade as my laptop needs a wireless connection to access the driver?:confused:

florus
November 2nd, 2008, 04:09 PM
Has anyone successfully upgraded to Intrepid on a laptop with Intel 4965 wireless networking?

spongypants23
November 2nd, 2008, 07:00 PM
Has anyone successfully upgraded to Intrepid on a laptop with Intel 4965 wireless networking?

Yep. I installed the package "linux-backports-modules-intrepid" after upgrading. You could also try doing this before upgrading. I'm not sure if the package will be removed during the upgrade process though.

If it does remove the package, you can connect your laptop with a cable, download and install the package, and then it should work.

This will keep your system from kernel panicking, hopefully. However, I'm still experiencing random stalling of the connection, and as far as I know, there is no fix for that yet.

(Note that I was able to run for a few minutes in 8.10 before the computer panicked. This may be the case for you as well, just be sure that no high-internet-usage programs run at startup.)

florus
November 2nd, 2008, 09:23 PM
Thanks for that. I think I will wait before I upgrade - Hardy works perfectly so I am in no hurry to change.