PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Disks appearing to mount in the wrong order after upgrade

potatan
November 2nd, 2008, 11:15 AM
(Not really solved, just cross-posted to
the Hardware forum here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=971481 )

Hi,

I recently upgraded from Hardy to Intrepid and now my disks appear to be mounting incorrectly. Note, this doesn't happen at every boot, it only affects me about 3 times out of 5 which seems odd.

I have four drives attached - one for the system, one for my data, which is accessed via symbolic links from my /home folder, one for backups, and one for Windows.

Following a successful boot, gparted tells me this:

Disk FS Mountpoint Label
sda
sda1 ext3 /
sda2 extended
sda5 linux-swap

sdb
sdb1 ext3 /media/sdb1 data

sdc
sdc1 ntfs /media/sdc1

sdd
sdd1 ext3 /media/sdd1 backups

Following an *unsuccessful* boot:

sda
sda1 ntfs

sdb
sdb1 ext3 /, /media/sdb1
sdb2 extended
sdb5 linux-swap

sdc
sdc1 ext3 /media/sdc1 data

sdd
sdd1 ext3 /media/sdd1 backups

So sdc somehow becomes sda, sda becomes sdb, sdb becomes sdc, etc.

Also note that my data drive appears to be mounted twice, at / and at /media/sdb1.

I can still access the drives via the "Places" menu, but they appear under "Removable Media". Also, my symbolic links to "Documents", "Music" etc. are now broken, because they point to the wrong place.

It is baffling me as to how these things seem to move around in an unpredictable fashion following a reboot. So two questions, I guess:

1. Why is this happening since upgrading to 8.10?
2. Once the system has booted "correctly" (i.e. all drives where they should be), is it possible to do something to make that state permanent?

Many thanks in advance.

Paul

potatan
November 3rd, 2008, 10:43 AM
Bump.