PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] [SOLVED] 8.04 - 8.10 upgrade, lost kubuntu

dsimpson
November 2nd, 2008, 09:46 AM
I posted this on kubuntu forums and there is nobody that has commented or tried to help, which is common with that forum, so I was hoping someone here might have an idea that could help resolve these issues with my 8.10 upgrade. I did an upgrade to 8.10 last night, and the first time I booted I was able to log on to kubuntu, but it would keep rebooting as I changed from one program to another or navigated on the internet. It rebooted on me about 6 times total and I would have to log in again. It would work for awhile and then reboot. I then booted into Gnome (Ubuntu) and tried that out and didn't seem to have the problems, so tried to boot again into KDE (Kubuntu) and after the splash screen and login, it would display a white screen, play a small part of the login theme audio and the the screen would go black. I can log into Gnome ok, but not into KDE.
When I go to the splash screen (login) I will get the option of logging into Linuxmint (which is on another HD, separate from Ubuntu/Kubuntu), and Ubuntu 7.10. There is no option to login to 8.10, so I use the 7.10 option and when I choose KDE the problems begin, if I login to Gnome or Default, Ubuntu will log on fine and works but I have no Kubuntu. I am using Ubuntu now to post this topic. Hope to hear your ideas on how to fix this problem, I really would like to use Kubuntu. Thanks.

dsimpson
November 17th, 2008, 11:09 AM
Anyone!!! has someone had the same problem, is there a fix, or am I just going to be ignored...???

dsimpson
November 21st, 2008, 03:19 AM
I am marking this as solved, I scrapped KDE and Kubuntu and did a new reinstall of Ubuntu, all my problems have gone away. Kubuntu just isn't ready for Prime time.

mc4man
November 21st, 2008, 08:01 AM
Kubuntu just isn't ready for Prime time.

I can agree there, but i find kde 4.x very interesting to use or more appropriately at the moment, learn to use.

If you decided to ck. out again or set up a small install to fool around in, a fresh install may prove more successful.
It's most likely your issues stemmed from the upgrade.

Been quite awhile, I guess all's been going relatively smooth till the upgrade.