PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to select correct GFX driver after "safe graphics mode" install?

mingle
November 2nd, 2008, 05:19 AM
Hi,

I've had a strange issue when trying to perform a clean install of Ubuntu 8.10 on my Compaq Evo 510 desktop (P4 2.8Ghz, 512MB Ram, Intel 82845G gfx chip), where the 'standard' Ubuntu 8.10 install failed to correctly set the gfx driver/screen mode - the screen res was too high for my LCD screen to display correctly.

So in the end I had the select "Safe Mode" (under F4 on the first CD install boot screen) and perform the install that way. This time it installed okay, but now I can only set screen resolutions of 800x600 or 640x480.

I need to be able to set a 1024x768 screen mode (as with my previous 7.10 install). With 7.10 I could run the displayconfig-gtk util to select the GFX driver and even the specific LCD monitor driver, but in 8.10 this util seems to have gone!

The normal "System > Preferences > Screen Resolution" is no use, since this doesn't let me select the correct GFX driver (as displayconfig-gtk did), it only shows me the 'safe mode' screen resolutions of 800x600 or 640x480...

Surely there must be a replacement for displayconfig-gtk??

Any comments or suggestion greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Mike.

(P.S. Mods, sorry for cross-posting this thread!)

Rhubarb
November 2nd, 2008, 10:34 AM
Good to see a fellow Melbourneite here :)
I'm having very similar problems to you, I'm stuck on 800x600 resolution, running with an old nvidia geforce 4.
And as you say, the nice displayconfig-gtk doesn't exist in intrepid.
So I'll keep my eyes open for a fix, doing a little hacking and prodding around - and will report back here (hopefully) with a solution.

Rhubarb
November 11th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Have you got this issue fixed yet?

I did managed to get my old computer working in 1024x768 (was stuck on 800x600) by installing an nvidia beta driver, then running nvidia-xconfig with a few extra flags.
Unfortunately this is of no help to you with your intel graphics card.