PDA

View Full Version : Anyone try Ubuntu UMPC yet? (ultra mobile pc)

wolfen69
November 2nd, 2008, 05:16 AM
it's available for download now, but have not heard anyone talk about it. i'm downloading it right now and will try it soon on my eeepc. here is the link- http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-umpc/intrepid/20081030.1/

3rdalbum
November 2nd, 2008, 08:22 AM
I tried the Ubuntu netbook interface on Virtualbox. I quite like it; it wouldn't be unbearable to use on your desktop full-time.

wolfen69
November 2nd, 2008, 05:58 PM
i tried it and found it was basically regular ubuntu with a slightly different interface. it didn't set up my atheros wireless, and i found a bug(?) that when you click on a button within a window, it just moves the window around. oh well, i'm going back to the stock xandros on my eeepc, and puppy on a 1G usb stick. i'm done screwing around trying to put a square peg in a round hole.

ZankerH
November 2nd, 2008, 06:01 PM
I just use ubuntu-eee with a standard gnome desktop. All the netbook interfaces are downright ugly and unusable.

wolfen69
November 2nd, 2008, 06:07 PM
I just use ubuntu-eee with a standard gnome desktop. All the netbook interfaces are downright ugly and unusable.

i would use the standard install, but i only have a 2Gb SSD. not much will fit on it. i had a debian minimal install that was working good, but i wiped it out when i was bored. at least the stock xandros does everything i need, and does it well.

mohitchawla
November 2nd, 2008, 07:18 PM
Things definitely aren't perfect here.

The interface isn't particularly impressive.

Nor there is enough "optimization" for the display/windows.

I'd rather settle with regular Ubuntu + UME-launcher.

But both the MID edition and the UMPC edition look somewhat promising, they are definitely trying things out there, that no other big distro is doing specifically. So hats off and best of luck.

Back to Puppy 4.1

wolfen69
November 2nd, 2008, 07:29 PM
Back to Puppy 4.1

puppy is definitely awesome on the eeepc. well, i use "puppeee" on it sometimes (1gb flash drive). fast as greased lightning.