PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Terminal is like white empty block. Please help!

zeiz
November 2nd, 2008, 03:23 AM
Upgrade to 8.10. Terminal looks like white plain block, nothing in it.
Same look has Synaptic, Software sources and a number of others. Firefox - in text mode.
It took me too long with upgrade from 8.04 to just reinstall (clean install fails on my machine).
Please help!

ad_267
November 2nd, 2008, 03:27 AM
Try disabling desktop effects.

System - Preferences - Appearance - Desktop Effects - None.

zeiz
November 2nd, 2008, 03:37 AM
Thanks a lot! But what could happen? Everything was working including firefox that is still in text mode now, how to fix?

ad_267
November 2nd, 2008, 03:57 AM
What do you mean in text mode? There's a problem with the Ubuntu forums at the moment so the style isn't being applied properly, but other sites should work fine. Ubuntuforums should be fixed soon hopefully.

I don't know if there's a way to prevent the white windows. I'd say it's a bug with compiz. What kind of video card do you have?

zeiz
November 2nd, 2008, 05:48 AM
Yes, you're right: it's only Ubuntu site in text mode :)
I have GeForce3-Ti200, this card does for me full Adobe graphic suite and everything I need (except last extreme games) and it worked perfectly with Hardy.
Also this "blank" effect appeared not right after installation but after I tried to install Opera.deb and Skype.deb (maybe occasionally at that moment). I reinstalled now both successfully but...after following your advice. It could be bug in nvidia-beta though it works just fine in Kubuntu 8.10 (KDE-1.2!).

zeiz
November 2nd, 2008, 05:59 AM
PS. Mandriva2009 runs on my machine with "heavy" effects :).

ad_267
November 2nd, 2008, 06:19 AM
I have an nvidia 6600 gt and I've previously had issues with applications (OpenOffice mostly) turning completely black, I think there's still a few issues with Compiz in Ubuntu. There might be bugs on launchpad that could help.

bscbrit
November 2nd, 2008, 06:22 AM
Zeiz, others are also complaining about a bug with the Nvidia drivers. See other threads to compare their problems with your own.