PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 8.10 Missing "Print to PDF"

jonzski
November 2nd, 2008, 02:29 AM
Greetings all,

I am rather new to Ubuntu and Linux. I am trying to make the switch from Windows. I started with 8.04 and just made the upgrade to 8.10. There are a few things I can already see I need to work on, and one thing that I have not seen posted is anyone losing the "Print to PDF" print queue. Again, I am sorry if this is a rather simple fix. But i am unsure what program, or setting or what ever I am supposed to look for. If anyone can help I would be greatly appreciated.

Jon

tvtech
November 2nd, 2008, 02:31 AM
cups pdf

it was native in 8.04 you just have to install the print directory and it will print to a folder called pdf in your home folder

okay so they made it easier all you do is hit print select print to file and select pdf name your doc and away you go it shows up in your home folder this will work in firefox you may have to enable cups pdf for other print related devices it will show up as a virtual printer. also there are pdf print programs that are cross platform and free.

there is a script somewhere to change where it saves too but I can't remember where

your going to want to search for something called cups-pdf it should be in the ubuntu documentation, and multiple mentions in the forums.

chrisby
November 2nd, 2008, 02:40 AM
1. make a folder called "PDF" in home or it won't print

2. go to the terminal and run:

sudo apt-get install cups-pdf

happy printing!

brycesteiner
November 2nd, 2008, 01:19 PM
"all you do is hit print select print to file and select pdf name your doc and away you go it shows up in your home folder"

Quite easy now to choose which you want.

chrisby
November 2nd, 2008, 03:43 PM
"all you do is hit print select print to file and select pdf name your doc and away you go it shows up in your home folder"

Quite easy now to choose which you want.

That method works, but lacks the GUI control of the pdf printer. For example, you can't control the DPI.

jonzski
November 3rd, 2008, 01:59 AM
@chrisby,

Thanks, thats what I wanted. And thanks to everyone else who replied.

Vock
January 28th, 2009, 03:29 AM
Thanks, was looking for this too.

EvilMonki
February 7th, 2009, 08:24 PM
1. make a folder called "PDF" in home or it won't print

2. go to the terminal and run:

sudo apt-get install cups-pdf

happy printing!

Something I was missing was the "PDF" folder. Thanks!

Rallg
February 8th, 2009, 05:38 PM
This should be considered a bug. Nothing in the printer setup panels says anything about needing to create a PDF folder in the user's Home directory, nothing in the panels offers the user a choice of where the printed documents should go, and nothing in the "failed" message says why.

Look, when I connect a hardware printer, I don't expect it to fail if I don't tell it where I want to put the finished pages. It doesn't need to know, or it has a default location to put the prints.

zika
February 8th, 2009, 06:38 PM
in Intrepid (at least 64-bit without cups-pdf installed) there is no need for PDF directory. just File->Print->print to file->select between .ps and .pdf and select in which directory to put the file. thank You for mentioning this, now that I tried this I can get rid of PDF_download extension in Firefox ... ;)

bornakke
March 11th, 2009, 09:29 PM
Just to save other newbees time - the folder has to have the name PDF and not pdf or Pdf ;)

egatux
April 6th, 2009, 10:04 PM
thank's zika, i never follow this tutorial before and now im feel so happy(thanks so much).It's the best forum i ever seen.... cayoooo.....ubuntu!!!