PDA

View Full Version : HP to offer Linux laptops in Janurary 09

blastus
November 2nd, 2008, 01:28 AM
PC makers move closer to a post-Windows world (http://bigtech.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2008/10/29/pc-makers-move-closer-to-a-post-windows-world/)

The Linux version of the HP Mini 1000 will sell for $379 when it arrives in January. While the laptop itself won’t sink Microsoft, it’s one more example of how powerful PC companies are relying less on Windows, and doing more software themselves. Image: HP

I imagine this news could cause some chairs to be thrown around in Redmond. :)

nerd0795
November 2nd, 2008, 01:50 AM
I heard before they are developing their own Linux Distro. This was a long time ago. Here's the article for it:

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/hp_may_try_avoid_vista_building_its_own_os

SunnyRabbiera
November 2nd, 2008, 02:01 AM
i heard they are going to make a custom version of ubuntu

zmjjmz
November 2nd, 2008, 02:02 AM
Well they refuted the part about it replacing Vista, which is entirely true; it isn't going to replace Vista.
On the other hand, it's a self-developed distro so it should be of higher quality than the EeePC.

LaRoza
November 2nd, 2008, 02:02 AM
I hope these machines are good.

gn2
November 2nd, 2008, 02:07 AM
I hope these machines are good.

The forthcoming HP Mini 1000 will have a better CPU than the current HP 2133 but a lower resolution screen.

Like the HP2133 and all netbooks there will be a Windows Xp option.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/10/29/hp-mini-1000-hands-on/

The HP 2133 has been available with Suse for months, since April.

HP's netbooks are manufactured by Compal Electronics, the same company that builds Dells Mini 9 and the MSI Wind.

Northsider
November 2nd, 2008, 04:41 PM
I love HPs...I am currently running 8.10 on my HP desktop. This is great news!

smoker
November 2nd, 2008, 06:59 PM
this is great news, and the fact they may be there, on the display shelves, will give linux more of a profile, and i'm sure if people 'can try before they buy' in stores they will be more likely to make a purchase, :-)

j.smith
November 2nd, 2008, 07:10 PM
As Always Nice from HP
with good performance
but as Always every body ask
" Video Card (Nividia,Radeon,...."
:popcorn:

garwaymatt
November 2nd, 2008, 07:19 PM
Well they refuted the part about it replacing Vista, which is entirely true; it isn't going to replace Vista.
On the other hand, it's a self-developed distro so it should be of higher quality than the EeePC.

Xandros on the EEE was at least partially developed by Asus.

I do wonder how linux will be able to compete with the next version of windows, which is supposed to be developed with netbooks in mind. At the moment, one of the reasons for OEM's to pick a linux operating system is that the current Microsoft product is too fat to run on netbooks, especially those with small SSD drives. The other option is XP, which is at deaths door, with the threat of constant axing over it.

MadsRH
November 2nd, 2008, 11:12 PM
I do wonder how linux will be able to compete with the next version of windows, which is supposed to be developed with netbooks in mind...

I agree! Microsoft has been given some really good cards for this next round. Although there's still a lot of time before the Windows 7 is release, Linux has to move fast if we want to fix bug #1. Hell, after the PDC I might even consider running Windows 7.

Back on the topic; It's great that HP offers Linux laptops. SUSE is great, but I really to believe Ubuntu would have been a better choice, simply because it's just slightly more user friendly (in my opinion anyway).

cardinals_fan
November 2nd, 2008, 11:20 PM
Back on the topic; It's great that HP offers Linux laptops. SUSE is great, but I really to believe Ubuntu would have been a better choice, simply because it's just slightly more user friendly (in my opinion anyway).
In what ways?

gn2
November 3rd, 2008, 01:22 AM
In what ways?

Package management?

handy
November 3rd, 2008, 01:46 AM
HP look to have started getting more serious about Linux some years ago, the following link is from August 2004:

http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/press/2004/040803a.html

Some more HP & Linux stuff, nothing startling there:

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/soa/HP-considers-own-Linux-based-OS/0,130061733,339291983,00.htm?feed=pt_linux

cardinals_fan
November 3rd, 2008, 03:00 AM
Package management?
What's wrong with Zypp? (disclaimer: I don't like APT)

kagashe
November 3rd, 2008, 09:42 AM
HP offered Linux Laptops even in 2004. I bought HP COMPAQ Presario 2500 series (Model 2514AT) Laptop with Madrake Linux 9.1 on two CDs (with HP Logo). Third CD had Linuxant free driver for the internal modem.

The laptop was supposed to be pre-installed with Mandrake Linux 9.1 but the dealer told me that I should buy it at the risk of installing on my own.

Although, I had never used Linux before buying the Laptop I accepted the risk (because I had the experience of re-installing Windows from CDs).

The distribution on the CDs was tailor made for the Laptop with all multimedia codecs included. I could install without any problem.

kagashe

Spark*
November 3rd, 2008, 10:06 AM
I do wonder how linux will be able to compete with the next version of windows, which is supposed to be developed with netbooks in mind.

By being customizable.

We should get away from the idea, that Linux is just a cheaper alternative to Windows. In reality, Windows is the cheap and generic option for hardware makers. To build truly remarkable user experiences, the best option is to roll your own software, which is perfectly tailored to the device. It doesn't matter if it's Linux, but free software makes this option far more realistic today than it was years ago.

This article is yet another proof that it's actually happening. The only thing that is holding it back I believe is the "Windows compatibility" which is also mentioned in the article. But with alternative operating systems on the rise (Apple is selling quite decently lately too), the popularity of web based applications, open standards, and improved compatibility layers, one has to wonder how long Microsoft will be able to retain this lock on the software market.

I strongly believe that we are (slowly but steadily) moving towards a market where Windows is primarily offered on economy-class devices, while premium brands will offer their own tightly integrated software, largely built around free software and open standards.

gn2
November 3rd, 2008, 05:05 PM
What's wrong with Zypp?

No idea, never heard of it till now.

What I do know of Suse package management is very limited.
On the one occasion when I used Suse there were problems with unresolved dependencies and it was very, very slow to download and install packages.

earthpigg
November 3rd, 2008, 05:27 PM
awesome post, spark.