PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] can I upgrade from 7.10 to 8.10?

treeclimber
November 1st, 2008, 10:25 PM
I downloaded and burned the new 8.10 CD. I am currently running 7.10. I checked my computer (Dell 1505n) running it on the CD alone and everything seems to work. I would like to upgrade from my current version to the new one and skip over the upgrade to 8.04 (I tried upgrading several times and no matter what I did, I could not get my network connections working under Hardy. And, believe me, I tried everything!) Is this possible? I tried to put the CD in my software sources as a repository, but it failed. This was done both through Sortware Sources and through the terminal.

I don't want to do a clean install as I just got all my software re-installed from my last foray into installing Hardy. Can anybody help me?

OrangeCrate
November 1st, 2008, 10:29 PM
If you want to get to 8.10 from 7.10 through the upgrade path, you must pass through 8.04 on the way. Otherwise, a fresh install of 8.10 is the only option I'm aware of.

treeclimber
November 1st, 2008, 11:04 PM
I read somewhere on the Ubuntu site that it was possible to upgrade if you set the cdrom as a repository in Software Sources. I tried this, but it kept saying certain packages were failing and would not put in the repository list. How can I get it to accept the 8.10 cdrom as a respository? I can't go through Hardy because it refuses to connect with the Internet wirelessly or directly when Hardy is installed. I would rather keep what I have. But 8.10 works! Any help?

treeclimber
November 1st, 2008, 11:17 PM
Would it work if I installed Hardy using my CD as a repository, then do the same with 8.10?

Nico0020
November 2nd, 2008, 12:24 AM
I have the exact same problem. No internet works for me at my house with hardy. It makes my modem/router go crazy and give failure errors. Anyways, I wish there was something I can do, I have the whole day off today and wanted to go from 7.10>8.04(no internet)>8.10. I have never heard of someone having success with adding a disk as repo, but I dont lurk too much. I know you can select it though. anyone know or have any luck with this.

treeclimber
November 7th, 2008, 04:04 PM
Just to let you know. I tried to upgrade from Gutsy to Hardy, using the CD, but it didn't work. I even downloaded the DVD version that has all the extras. No go. So I downloaded Intrepid and ran from CD. The Wireless connection worked!

But then, after I did a clean install and put everthing back on my computer, I ended up going back to Gutsy after about a week of messing with Intrepid. Why? Even though I could connect wirelessy with Intrepid, the connection was so flaky, I had almost no signal and it kept losing the connection. I always had to restart. I don't have that with Gutsy and the propietary driver that came with that. If anybody can explain to me how to install a windows driver in Ubuntu, I will try again to get Hardy and Intrepid to work. Otherwise, forget it!