PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] New Xubuntu install but doesn't see my CD drive

kismul
November 1st, 2008, 09:35 PM
I'm very much a linux novice. I got a second-hand Compaq Armada E500 laptop and I've just done a full install of Xubuntu 8.04. Prior to this, I had Ubuntu 6 installed but it was so slow that I decided to give xubuntu a try. The problem is that although I installed from a CD, there is no recognition by xubuntu that a CD drive exists. On the desktop, there's no CD icon where I think there should be.

With Ubuntu, everything worked, including playing music CDs with Kaffeine. Now, although brasero appears to read and copy discs, Totem refuses to see and play them. Instead I get "Location not found". And I can't see the drive at all in Thunar. Although I may just be looking in the wrong place.

Any help and advice would be much appreciated.

PS I did try the edit to preferences suggested by fred.warren on 2nd August, on the hardware and laptops threads but it didn't help.

00b00nt00
November 5th, 2008, 05:23 AM
I'm using an Armada e500 with 512mb RAM and both Xubuntu and Ubuntu 8.10 work flawlessly. I assume your Armada has lower memory - try downloading and installing from the alternate CD rather than the live CD; at least that way you can be sure the installation isn't a memory issue.