PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Clean install for 8.10 help needed

Peterfc
November 1st, 2008, 09:12 PM
Hi All

I updated 8.4 to 8.10 when 8.10 was listed in update manager. All i get after username and password is a blank screen. At the partition stage their where a number of different Ubuntu setup on my hard drive. I can't do a clean install with using the whole hard drive as i need and use windows XP.

Question how do i remove all the previous versions of Ubuntu. Since the upgrade my other working version of Ubuntu is not working now. I am ok with deleting everything and starting agin from a clean install but how do i start.

Dell dimension 2400 series 200gb hard/ drive 1gb ram dvd rw everything else on board.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

coolethan
November 1st, 2008, 09:28 PM
you could try reinstalling xp again and then installing the latest ubuntu afterwards. i have done this and if xp is anything like 98 then it should recognize there are some non windows os's on the computer and it will give you the option of formatting the hard drive, this will completely destroy all data including the other non working ubuntu os's you have on the computer however if you don't want to loose all your important data then i do not suggest this. when you install 8.4 and get to the partition stage you should be able to click and drag the different sliders representing the amount of space each os will recieve on the hard drive and you may be able to slide them down to zero for the os that you don't want. i have never had more than two os on my computer so i'm not too certain about this.

explainer
November 1st, 2008, 09:45 PM
Try downloading the 8.10 install .iso image and burn it to a CD. Then you can go through the normal install sequence and just specify the same partition on which you had 8.04 installed. I have found that ubuntu upgrades can be problematic, particularly upgrades attempted just after a major release. For that reason, I tend to do clean installs instead of upgrades.