PDA

View Full Version : custom gtksourceview .lang files

red_Marvin
November 29th, 2005, 05:23 PM
Does anyone have any info on how to create and install gtksourceview files, so
they show up in the syntax coloring options in gedit?
Obviously saving a modified .lang file in /usr/share/gtksourceview-1.0 isn't enough
and I couldn't find any usable info on the gtksourceview's sourceforge homeage,
...but that doesn't mean the knowledge doesn't exist? *crossing fingers*

benletib
May 17th, 2006, 07:04 PM
Up !

It interests me too :)
I'm tryinng to make an apache-conf lang file...

llonesmiz
May 17th, 2006, 07:26 PM
I've slightly modified the file python.lang and saved it as mypython.lang and now I can select MyPython in gedit. I'm using gtksourceview 1.6 in dapper. The directory where I have saved the file is /usr/share/gtksourceview-1.0/language-specs/. When you modify the file, make sure that you change the line:

<language _name="Python" version="1.0" _section="Scripts" mimetypes="text/x-python;application/x-python">

to something like:

<language _name="MyPython" version="1.0" _section="Scripts" mimetypes="text/x-python;application/x-python">

It's possible that this won't work in breezy, I can't test it, I wish you good luck.

benletib
May 18th, 2006, 10:19 AM

But I found why it didn't work before. I made a mistake in my xml code so it wasn't valid and it wasn't displayed in the menu... :roll:

Finally, it isn't so hard to add a lang file !

red_Marvin
May 19th, 2006, 06:38 PM
I managed to do that too.. anyone know how to write a proper file?
AFIK it's an xml file but I don't know xml (other than trial and error modifications)
Any resources/tutorials that a newbie can check?

vasdee
May 21st, 2006, 12:50 PM
This is something i'm very interesting in as well. I'd like to edit the php.lang file to get rid of the annoying 'green' highlighting when you have embedded html within php.

One thing i've managed to find is that you can put custom lang files in

~/.gnome2/gtksourceview-1.0/language-specs/

and these will override the ones in /usr/share/....