PDA

View Full Version : Newbie just lettin people know I'm here!!

dapunisher
November 1st, 2008, 06:32 PM
I am 25yo. I am currently a student. I study JAVA and Visual Basic for now. I also study HTML but I think the formatting language is too easy to justify a class so its more of a "online tutorial" kind of learning. I've started programming earlier this year. If anybody needs anything feel free to write me(just keep it clean and relevent). Oh, question for ubuntu develpers...what language should I learn so I can start developing for ubuntu(or linux for that matter)? I would like to start changing ubuntu, adding/changing interfaces, developing software like editors or games or whatever project I can get my hands on!

Delever
November 1st, 2008, 07:22 PM
Hi :)

Find something you are interested in, you can use any language you want (except probably visual basic). I am experimenting with C++, but that's because I probably hate myself.

Good luck.

P.S. Python is popular.

ankursethi
November 1st, 2008, 08:04 PM
There will be about a hundred thousand people recommending Python. Listen to them. Also check out Ruby. If you're truly adventurous, try your hand at Lisp. Just make sure whatever you learn isn't controlled by Big Corporation Inc., like Microsoft.

Happy hacking :)

pmasiar
November 1st, 2008, 08:24 PM
Simple advice: check stickies. Tons of good advice there, and you also would get better idea about forum regulars.

And for language, Python rules 8-)

LaRoza
November 2nd, 2008, 12:15 AM
I also study HTML but I think the formatting language is too easy to justify a class so its more of a "online tutorial" kind of learning.
Brace yourself ;) XHTML (HTML is old...) is simple, but that doesn't make using it simple. Use XHTML to describe the logic of a page (not looks!) Use CSS to style the page. All languages are easy, but using them is what can be hard. Good webdesign is beyond knowing the language.

Oh, question for ubuntu develpers...what language should I learn so I can start developing for ubuntu(or linux for that matter)? I would like to start changing ubuntu, adding/changing interfaces, developing software like editors or games or whatever project I can get my hands on!

Ubuntu can use any free language. See my wiki for instance. The core language of Linux, is C. C is the basis for all *nix. For Ubuntu, Python is often used (Python and C can be used together). My wiki has a list of other languages in common use (some more common than others.) You can even use your VB knowledge on Linux (but I recommend you don't). For system tasks, shell scripts and the Coreutils are most useful. Bash scripting is a valuable skill, although one normally doesn't do big projects in them.

Also, I highly recommend you study Scheme or Common Lisp.

jimi_hendrix
November 2nd, 2008, 12:37 AM
C is the basis for all *nix.

<OT> than what is DOS written in (google returned nothing) </OT>

LaRoza
November 2nd, 2008, 12:41 AM
<OT> than what is DOS written in (google returned nothing) </OT>

C. Unix came before DOS.

Most operating systems that aren't written in assembly (really old, or highly specific ones) are written in C. If it isn't, it will likely be stated as that would be unique.

There are some pre-C languages that were in use, but I know of none of them that are used now for OS programming.

pmasiar
November 2nd, 2008, 02:14 AM
There are some pre-C languages that were in use, but I know of none of them that are used now for OS programming.

C was **designed** for OS programming, specifically to write first Unix for class of PDP machines with similar (and BTW very neat) ASM. Back then, many different high-level improvements to ASM were common. And if you know ASM, C is rather close - C is platform-independent ASM.

LaRoza
November 2nd, 2008, 02:42 AM
C was **designed** for OS programming, specifically to write first Unix for class of PDP machines with similar (and BTW very neat) ASM. Back then, many different high-level improvements to ASM were common. And if you know ASM, C is rather close - C is platform-independent ASM.

Yes, C was designed specifically for þat purpose. þey faced "but it isn't fast enough for OS's" critics afraid of going to a higher level :-)

BCDL and B were the ancestors of C, for þose interested, but þey were not for OS programming.

CptPicard
November 2nd, 2008, 02:45 AM
I see you learned how to type that character after our discussion of þúggs ..

LaRoza
November 2nd, 2008, 02:53 AM
I see you learned how to type that character after our discussion of þúggs ..

Just using English properly: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=6085043

CptPicard
November 2nd, 2008, 02:57 AM
If only that round thing was at the upper end of the stick..

LaRoza
November 2nd, 2008, 02:59 AM
If only that round thing was at the upper end of the stick..

Yes, I knew of þat possible issue, but þey are hopefully not children :-)

CptPicard
November 2nd, 2008, 03:01 AM
What happened to the forum stylesheet? :(

LaRoza
November 2nd, 2008, 03:04 AM
What happened to the forum stylesheet? :(

Did you lose avatars also?

I lost all but mine.

CptPicard
November 2nd, 2008, 03:05 AM
No, avatars work. It's a bit weird though, stuff is generally in correct locations... but maybe this uses a mostly-table layout, don't know...

LaRoza
November 2nd, 2008, 03:26 AM
No, avatars work. It's a bit weird though, stuff is generally in correct locations... but maybe this uses a mostly-table layout, don't know...

It seems to be a hardware problem in England (where þe servers are), and my cached info slowly went away...

I now have no theme.

nvteighen
November 2nd, 2008, 01:00 PM
The thorn letter is clearly a corrupted form of the greek theta... (Ancient Greeks still rule the world!)

On the other hand, back to the OP:

I'm running a Free Software project meant for those people that have nothing to do or need something to train their skills or just some fun. Look at https://launchpad.net/pyctactoe It's in Python.

LaRoza
November 2nd, 2008, 02:53 PM
The thorn letter is clearly a corrupted form of the greek theta... (Ancient Greeks still rule the world!)

It is based on a rune. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ᚦ

Due to the history, it seems they may have a common ancestor: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runic_alphabet#Origins

CptPicard
November 2nd, 2008, 03:20 PM
It is based on a rune. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ᚦ

How fascinating that Vikings had runes whose symbol is a square with Unicode codepoint numbers inside :shock:

LaRoza
November 2nd, 2008, 03:25 PM
How fascinating that Vikings had runes whose symbol is a square with Unicode codepoint numbers inside :shock:

Tsk. Don't have those fonts? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Runic_letter_thurisaz.svg

nvteighen
November 2nd, 2008, 05:46 PM

Is it me or does Debian Lenny have better Unicode support than Ubuntu?? I've migrated to Debian and I can read LaRoza Hindi sig much better than before (still don't understand it... :p)

CptPicard
November 2nd, 2008, 06:27 PM
Actually, I was on my mom's Windows machine at the time of writing that post...

LaRoza
November 2nd, 2008, 06:42 PM
Is it me or does Debian Lenny have better Unicode support than Ubuntu?? I've migrated to Debian and I can read LaRoza Hindi sig much better than before (still don't understand it... :p)

I have had no problems with unicode in Ubuntu.

The script is Devanagari. It says "Mera naam? Munna Bahin...".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHeP1-6ib7k

Actually, I was on my mom's Windows machine at the time of writing that post...

Hm, your mom needs and upgrade ;)