PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 8.10 - x broken (even from livecd)

tsr
November 1st, 2008, 05:45 PM
Hi,

So after some human errors, etc I finally have upgraded to Intrepid. My current situation is that I don't get to a gnome-login screen (after ctrl-alt-F1 I get to the console login screen).

(I've enabled the login-screen-sound and I never hear that annoying - but at the moment desirable sound-effect)

After following some random (?) advice (amongst other removing the xorg vga and nsc drivers as per bugreport #265035 (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/265035))I've come to where:

root@momo:~# Xorg -configure /home/tsr/xorg.conf.new

results in (I had to type in the contents of this since I can't seem to mount a usb-stick on the borked comp - all instances of '....' below is ommited text):

X.Org X Sever 1.5.2
Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.24-19-server i686 Ubuntu
Current Operating System: Linux momo 2.6.27-7-generic ....
List of video drivers:
i810
intel
i740
(++) Using config file: "/home/tsr/xorg.conf.new"
(EE) intel(1): Cannot read V_BIOS (3) Function not implemented

I've generated the /home/tsr/xorg.conf.new file by issuing (as root):

:~# X -reconfigure

Other things I've tried include removing the compiz and compiz-core packages (or whatever two packages I've seen been recommended for removal in this forum - I don't use compiz anyway so no biggie).

The only other piece of information I can think off to give is the output from lspci -v

00:02.0 VGA Compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82852/855GM Integrated Graphics Device (rev 02)

(I can give more detail about the output if necessary, put since I'm typing it in I'll leave it at that for the moment.

Any ideas? (Except trying the alternate install, if you don't explain why that should work when this doesn't - the whole download-burn-verify-process is kind of slow for me - so I prefer just reinstalling Hardy instead with discs that I already have)

/tsr

tsr
November 5th, 2008, 09:28 PM
sorry to bump, but I don't see what else I can do.

If I don't find a solution where should I report the bug, ubuntu or xorg?

/tsr