PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] wine install problem

Dermot Doyle
November 1st, 2008, 04:53 PM
Hi, I just downloaded wine from advice on another thread. The download seemed to complete properly, but the package installer says "Dependency is not satisfiable:libasound2" Can anyone tell me what this means? I should add that I'm pretty new to all this so a simple explanation would be great. Thanks.

Bodsda
November 1st, 2008, 05:17 PM
The 'Dependency not satisfiable' suggests that wine (when installed) had trouble installing some other things that it needs, luckily it tells us what it needs, try typing this into a terminal {Applications--> Accessories--> Terminal}

sudo apt-get install libasound2

Copy and paste any errors here if you get them, if not then wine should work fine.

Bodsda

Dermot Doyle
November 1st, 2008, 06:07 PM
Am I right in thinking this is ok? Can't say I fully understand it, but there don't seem to be any errors.

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
libasound2 is already the newest version.
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
libmono-cairo2.0-cil
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

gandaran
November 1st, 2008, 06:56 PM
why don't you install wine from the repos?
code:
sudo apt-get install wine

Dermot Doyle
November 1st, 2008, 07:36 PM
Because I didn't know I could. As I said, I'm new to this, but thanks it all seems to have worked and wine has appeared in my applications.
There seem to be a confusion (to a non-techy) of ways to do the same thing and I never really understand the pros and cons of why people suggest different solutions. But I'm learning.
Thanks again.

gandaran
November 1st, 2008, 07:55 PM
the best way to install and remove applications is to use synaptic package manager, it has thousands of programs to choose from,you just mark the selected application for install or for complete removal and click the apply button.
any time you try to install something first check if the application is in synaptic