PDA

View Full Version : Do you know martial arts?

gjoellee
November 1st, 2008, 04:42 PM
I wonder how many of you guys using this forum that knows any martial arts....!?

I train Tae Kwon Do and some Vovinam.

isaacj87
November 1st, 2008, 04:47 PM
Yup!

I'm a 1st degree black belt in taekwondo. I also had the opportunity to learn a little judo, tai chi, and capoeira (a style I thoroughly enjoyed).

cb951303
November 1st, 2008, 04:51 PM
takemusu aikido, 5th kyu

Dixon Bainbridge
November 1st, 2008, 05:10 PM
25 years training. Started in Sport Karate (Bujinkai), then moved to Aikido, Kendo and for the past 9 years have been training Chow Gar Southern Praying Mantis Kung Fu. This is the style I'll take to the grave.

reyfer
November 1st, 2008, 05:11 PM
Aikido, Krav Maga, Sports Chanbara (Goshindo) http://www.samuraisports.com/resources/video/index.html#

regomodo
November 1st, 2008, 05:15 PM
#

david_lynch
November 1st, 2008, 07:14 PM
I was involved with a dojo and practicing tae kwon do in Thailand a long time ago. Now that I'm older, I'm more interested in learning aikido.

snova
November 1st, 2008, 07:17 PM
I took lessons for a few years (Tung Su Do), and I was pretty good at it, but I didn't really take to it...

chucky chuckaluck
November 1st, 2008, 07:27 PM
i've got a yellow belt in scram-fu.

oldsoundguy
November 1st, 2008, 07:38 PM
Marshall Arts? Isn't he a bit part Hollyweird actor of some kind?

For a quick course on who is number one .. try Smith & Wesson vs FuFu!! LOL

Denestria
November 1st, 2008, 08:04 PM
I have a brown belt. The school is Isshinryu, but we learned a bit of many styles. Sometimes we would do Muay Thai, Sayoc Kali, Kenpo, Kemscrima-Doh, Doce Pares Eskrima and Gracie Jiu-Jitsu.

chucky chuckaluck
November 1st, 2008, 09:55 PM
Marshall Arts? Isn't he a bit part Hollyweird actor of some kind?

For a quick course on who is number one .. try Smith & Wesson vs FuFu!! LOL

amen, bro! when i put one of these babies on my roof...

http://www.brookhursthobbies.com/dragon/images/GatlingF.JPG

...there'll be no more little asterisks cutting through my yard.

on a more serious note...everyone i've ever talked to about the subject of self defense, including a karate instructor and a professional bodyguard, all said the same thing - run like hell. i asked one of them what i should do if i'm with someone who can't run. the reponse - run for help.

skitzware
November 1st, 2008, 10:44 PM
I've studied & taught Wing Chun Gung Fu for the past 27 years

XVampireX
November 1st, 2008, 11:15 PM
Started my early life with Taekwondo for about 2 years... then went to Karate Kyokushinkai for 5 years... Also did some Dennis Survival (an MMA in Israel), and afterwards I've done Kung fu 2 styles, one is Xing Yi the other is Bagua, I didn't do them for long, but that's my style :)

Xzoky
November 1st, 2008, 11:20 PM
Did 8 years of Karate when I was a kid. Didn't like it very much, though ^^

OldDirtyTurtle
November 1st, 2008, 11:30 PM
Some iaido here. Wanting to get into aikido.

Saint Angeles
November 2nd, 2008, 05:01 AM
i used to do this karate that was like, american karate combined with tang soo do. i guess im still technically a green belt.

karellen
November 2nd, 2008, 10:05 AM
a little krav maga, though some say it's not a martial art

Paqman
November 2nd, 2008, 10:37 AM
http://www.brookhursthobbies.com/dragon/images/GatlingF.JPG

*Ex-armourer looks at glossy paintjob with high levels of suspicion*

Is that actually a real minigun, or just some nonsense someone made in their garage?

handy
November 2nd, 2008, 10:48 AM
I did Taikwondo for some years back in the 1980's.

I don't think I can answer the question that I know martial arts in the positive these days. ;-)

samjh
November 2nd, 2008, 10:55 AM
The thread title reminded me of The Matrix.

Neo: I know Kung Fu.

Morpheus: Show me.

:)

More seriously, yes I know some martial arts. Started off with Muay Thai, then learned Kung Fu for 8 years. Now I've started training in Judo.

for the past 9 years have been training Chow Gar Southern Praying Mantis Kung Fu. This is the style I'll take to the grave.
Small world. I also trained in Chow Gar Tong Long. There aren't too many Chow Gar practitioners around. :)

earthpigg
November 2nd, 2008, 11:22 AM
Martial means pertaining to warfare.

Art can be any human endevour.

Thus any soldier is a martial artist, whereas playing with swords is a sport that no longer has any practical application in warfare.

I could see the guys from early UFC as being considered actual martial artists, but mainstream boxing, kung fu, etc are clearly just recreational sports the same as football.

handy
November 2nd, 2008, 11:55 AM
I could see the guys from early UFC as being considered actual martial artists, but mainstream boxing, kung fu, etc are clearly just recreational sports the same as football.

There are a variety of attitudes that people have that motivate them to practice martial arts. Ranging from being sadistic, through the desire to be able to look after themselves if they have to, or the pursuit of fitness & the joy of evenly matched fights free from negative emotions, & there are those that pursue spiritual perfection through the high art of inner knowledge that is possible in various of the martial disciplines.

I think that there is a far greater range for personal development in the study & practice of the Eastern martial arts than there is in say, football.

earthpigg
November 2nd, 2008, 03:12 PM
I think that there is a far greater range for personal development in the study & practice of the Eastern martial arts than there is in say, football.

quite possibly. in that context, however, calling it a martial art remains a misnomer. it is a sport.

if your intent is to use (or be ready to use) the skills learned to intentionally seek out and kill people in, then you can claim to be a martial artist.

the vast majority of unarmed urban self defense instructors i've seen or heard from preach to avoid conflict, run if you can, etc.

which is perfectly fine, but clearly not a martial outlook. if anything, i would describe karate, etc, practitioners as "Pacifist Artists" or maybe simply "self defense enthusiast".

the following is an example of a martial outlook:

Locate, close with, and destroy the enemy by fire and maneuver and repel enemy assault by fire and close combat.
read what the dictionary (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/martial)says if you dont believe me :)

Paqman
November 2nd, 2008, 03:42 PM
the vast majority of unarmed urban self defense instructors i've seen or heard from preach to avoid conflict, run if you can, etc.

which is perfectly fine, but clearly not a martial outlook.

Depends. Sun Tzu was pretty big on ramming home the idea that a warrior should only ever fight at a time of his choosing, and only when victory was guaranteed.

Having said that, in my experience most infantrymen will fight anyone, anywhere, at any time, for any reason. And if there's no-one else around they fight each other. They're a constant source of amusement.

ZankerH
November 2nd, 2008, 03:53 PM
My google-fu is strong. I am also involuntary familiar with the way of the Goa Tse Do, though I would not recommend the practice to anyone.

chucky chuckaluck
November 2nd, 2008, 03:55 PM
*Ex-armourer looks at glossy paintjob with high levels of suspicion*

Is that actually a real minigun, or just some nonsense someone made in their garage?

i couldn't begin to tell you. i did a google image search for "gatling gun" and thought it looked pretty.

Xzallion
November 2nd, 2008, 04:23 PM
I've been in Kenpo for over a year now, and love every bit of it. Also did some Iiado and will be picking that up after my instructor finishes building his house.

I plan to reach third black in Kenpo, and attain a black belt in Muay Thai, Cappoeira, and Brazillian Jujitsu.

And since handy brought it up, I figured I would explain why I pursue the martial arts. I have anger problems, and the two classes a week help me vent them without injuring myself or others to much, in a controlled environment.

adityakavoor
November 2nd, 2008, 04:27 PM
I am a karate Black Belt I grade

rax_m
November 2nd, 2008, 05:30 PM
I did karate when I was a kid ..
Later did a variety of chinese martial arts - Wing Chung, Wu shu and most recently Tai Chi.

I'm enjoying the internal boxing style of Tai Chi immensely!

earthpigg
November 2nd, 2008, 05:56 PM
Depends. Sun Tzu was pretty big on ramming home the idea that a warrior should only ever fight at a time of his choosing, and only when victory was guaranteed.

indeed. to compare, a self defense instructor will probably tell you to never fight if you can avoid it regardless of how confident you are in victory.

Having said that, in my experience most infantrymen will fight anyone, anywhere, at any time, for any reason. And if there's no-one else around they fight each other. They're a constant source of amusement.

it's what we're here for. ;)

SomeGuyDude
November 2nd, 2008, 06:50 PM
I don't count taking karate when I was younger (though I did it for a while), but I did muay thai for a year or so.

That said, after a while, I realized that since I don't plan on competing and I just plain don't GET into fights, I was getting more injuries from training than I would if I just accepted an ***-whooping two or three times in my life.

I decided that as far as self-defense goes, being a heavily-tattooed powerlifter works even better because people just don't pick fights. :lolflag:

Sockerdrickan
November 2nd, 2008, 07:18 PM
I know em all...

lol internet

Sinkingships7
November 2nd, 2008, 07:45 PM
I know kung fu.

Show me.

oldsoundguy
November 2nd, 2008, 08:04 PM
Yea. I know Kung Fu, too. It was a TV series with David (whadyuamean I smoke too much pot?) Carridine quite a few years back.

adamogardner
November 2nd, 2008, 09:20 PM
By martial arts if you mean assasination, sabotage and espionage, then yes I am somewhat versed. I think of hand to hand combat though as only one spoke of the wheel. What good is kung-fu if you can't escape 4 fast cars with gunmen. I can true my aim on any of 9 handguns I have practiced with, Handle vehicles like a stuntman, pick locks, booby trap anything with C-4 et al. fly a plane, copter, parachute, motorbike, skis, snowboard, skateboard, traverse jungle, dessert, sierra, sea, and knock an enemy out. I win the fight before the first assault is made (sometimes it takes my enemy longer than that to realize it.) I can read your body as if it were speaking clearly, I know how to use effectively a stick and machete and towel, and pen and can make poison from many plants as well as eat for free all on a global scale. i have been trained also in escape and evasion, field medicine, and other niceties I can't recall off hand.

earthpigg
November 2nd, 2008, 09:28 PM
well, as long as you can use a towel then you should be ok.

adamogardner
November 2nd, 2008, 09:55 PM

try this: lay out a towel and fold one end at the corner so the other cornerlays along the edge of the towel (so it looks like half a paper airplane getting folded) a 45^ crease exists in the towel - this is your handle end. Now roll the towel up into a long roll by rolling with the angled crease. then tie a big ol knot down by the handle end to keep your towel rolled, and act as a stylish sword hilt. You are ready to go, BUT WARNING - THIS WEAPON IS NO JOKE! DON'T USE AGAINST LIFE FORMS EVEN LIGHTLY!

earthpigg
November 2nd, 2008, 10:07 PM
usually i just wrap the towel around the barrel of a gun and do it that way.

chucky chuckaluck
November 2nd, 2008, 10:49 PM
my favorite quote on the subject (wish i knew the source)...

"i know crazy and i'm not afraid to use it."

pirattrev
November 3rd, 2008, 01:45 AM
I'm learning Cамбо, the russian military martial art. There's very little striking, it's mostly counter-attacks and disarming. Which is cool because instead of learning how to punch someone, I learn how to dodge a knife attack and then break their arm.

chucky chuckaluck
November 3rd, 2008, 01:51 AM
nevermind.

handy
November 3rd, 2008, 01:58 AM

Ford Prefect, considered the towel as an essential traveling companion for good reason.

samjh
November 3rd, 2008, 02:10 AM
I'm learning Cамбо, the russian military martial art. There's very little striking, it's mostly counter-attacks and disarming. Which is cool because instead of learning how to punch someone, I learn how to dodge a knife attack and then break their arm.

Is that the same as Sambo?

Interestingly, Jujitsu (a Samurai's hand-to-hand combat art) focuses mostly on joint locks and throws because hitting an armoured opponent (as the Samurai typically wore into battle) with your hands/feet is ineffective and dangerous to the striker. Hence the reason why the latest revision of the US Army combatives program have shifted their focus from striking to grappling.

chucky chuckaluck
November 3rd, 2008, 02:14 AM

towel-chuks - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DghW3qL80Ig

toupeiro
November 3rd, 2008, 02:21 AM
Green Belt, Shotokan Karate, but that was some years ago. I was testing for purple but then I got injured.

pirattrev
November 3rd, 2008, 02:25 AM
Is that the same as Sambo?

Interestingly, Jujitsu (a Samurai's hand-to-hand combat art) focuses mostly on joint locks and throws because hitting an armoured opponent (as the Samurai typically wore into battle) with your hands/feet is ineffective and dangerous to the striker. Hence the reason why the latest revision of the US Army combatives program have shifted their focus from striking to grappling.

yeah, same as Sambo. I like to write it that way because it is a russian style, so I like to honor that by writing it in Cyrillic

Ripfox
November 3rd, 2008, 02:48 AM
I took Gōjū-ryū for a couple years...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goju_Ryu

Paqman
November 3rd, 2008, 09:25 AM
Hence the reason why the latest revision of the US Army combatives program have shifted their focus from striking to grappling.

Interestingly the US Marine Corps are getting really into developing their own martial art. The different coloured belts even get worn with the uniform.

It's called MCMAP, but i've read they call it Semper Fu :lolflag:

earthpigg
November 3rd, 2008, 10:00 AM
We do indeed call it Semper Fu :)

the brass hired a bunch of guys (such as Ken Shamrock (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Shamrock)) called "subject matter experts" to develope it.

wikipedia has a decent article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MCMAP

all freshly minted Marines are tan belts, all freshly minted Marine Officers are green belts.

there is talk of making advancement up the rank structure dependent on advancement up the mcmap structure, as well.

barbedsaber
November 3rd, 2008, 10:37 AM
I learn, and enjoy taekwondo. I have so many others I would like to learn, I have put them in order.
(from most want to learn, to least.)
aikido
judo
jujitsu
kung fu
kendo
drunken boxing

Hallvor
November 3rd, 2008, 11:04 AM
From first to last:

Karate - 1 year
Taekwondo - 4 years
Kickboxing - 2 years
Ju Jitsu - 2 years
Muay Thai - 1 year until present.

inkrypted
November 3rd, 2008, 11:14 AM
I had to go through psyical therapy when my knee cap was broken. Tai Chi was a big part of my recovery. Upon getting better my therapist started teaching me Wing Chun.

samjh
November 3rd, 2008, 11:20 AM
We do indeed call it Semper Fu :)

all freshly minted Marines are tan belts, all freshly minted Marine Officers are green belts.

there is talk of making advancement up the rank structure dependent on advancement up the mcmap structure, as well.

Semper Fu! :lolflag:

Interesting idea about rank advancement. I've read that a big challenge in implementing a service-wide combatives system is to get people to learn and remember it. Making combatives competency a compulsory part of rank advancement just might do that.

Dixon Bainbridge
November 3rd, 2008, 12:37 PM
Small world. I also trained in Chow Gar Tong Long. There aren't too many Chow Gar practitioners around. :)

Hello! No, there aren't many around, small family style which is why I like it.

adamogardner
November 3rd, 2008, 03:25 PM
I don't think I agree with rank advancement in hand to hand combat training. It's for the kids. truth is, a colored belt doesn't mean anything but rank among your peers in class. Whoa to the black belted warrior who focused a bit to much on the testing, and qualifications to climb rank rather than fusing a pure spirit with matter in motion. The latter is hard to do when your concerned with colors and qualifications. One doesn't need heart to graduate; but needs it to 'enter the dragon' (so to speak). In my lofty opinion.

Ryozanpaku Tiger
November 13th, 2008, 04:57 PM
I practice martial arts for more than 18 years. My main style is Shotokan karate (17 years of practice), where I am a nidan (JKA). I also have some experience in other arts: muay thai, Voviman viet vo dao, etc.

Oss!

Kymus
November 13th, 2008, 10:53 PM
Collectively, I've learned:

American (Kempo) Karate
Pai Lum Kung Fu
Jeet Kune Do
Muay Thai
Doce Paris Escrima
Lameco Escrima
Jiu Long (9 Dragon) Ba Gua Zhang
Green Dragon Kuoshu (Kuoshu = Kung Fu from Taiwan)
Jujutsu
Northern Shaolin Long Fist
White Crane Qinna
Yang Style Taijiquan
Shuai Jiao
Bujinkan Ninjutsu (ok, sorta learned a bit... but once I have the funds, that's the next art I plan on learning :D)

Now of course some of these I've taken longer than others. I began when I was around 7 and back then I sorta had bad luck with schools and would be there for a while and then either the school closed or my folks ran out of funds.

I never really stuck with a single art due to this coincidence of forced cross training, and also, as I got older my interest in particular arts got much stronger as I was exposed to many of them.

Eventually, I'd like to learn more from Ba Gua, Qinna, Jujutsu, Bujinkan, and also pick up traditional Shaolin.

You could say that my main arts are JKD, Muay Thai, Kali/Escrima, Long Fist and various bits of traditional Kung Fu.

Shpongle
September 13th, 2009, 03:54 PM
wing chun 2 yrs+ and escrima stick fighting both under ebmas http://www.ebmas.net/,

bodyharvester
September 13th, 2009, 04:03 PM
i downloaded a torrent full of martial arts videos, the only worthwhile ones were the "Shaolin Warrior Workout" (Vol 1-3) dvd's. his dvd's are available for america but im not sure about whether shoes are shipped worldwide. they were good dvd's and ive learned a lot so i bought some from his store to support his work

they were made by Shifu Yan Lei who is a 34th generation fighting disciple who trained at the Shaolin Temple from the age of 14. he now teaches at the Shaolin Temple UK

www.shifuyanlei.co.uk
www.shaolintempleuk.org

hope these are useful ;) prices for the shaolin temple uk are huge :o

khelben1979
September 17th, 2009, 11:28 AM
I have experience training Kendo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kendo) (Sankyu) and Iaido (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iaido) (no grade). I haven't trained anything in any clubs for a couple of years.

KegHead
September 17th, 2009, 01:46 PM
hi!

i earned a yellow belt in shri-akido over 20 years ago.

keghead

gn2
September 17th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Used to be very skilled in chung ching.
Haven't done any for many years.

Tom Mann
September 17th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Marshall Arts? Yeah he's my best mate, Marshall.

:lolflag:

pmlxuser
September 17th, 2009, 02:36 PM
kyo ku shin brown 3rd Dan, only that far then i grew up. don'y go out, don't fight and don't drink.
now i do i new style its called sleep-ndo practise 7-8 hours a day (like it very much)

Omnios
September 17th, 2009, 02:37 PM
Temper - Fu

I started studying martial arts when I was 12, I am 40 now. I took it on my own to learn a bit of everything. Lots of Shaolin Buddhiststuff mind over body and mental discipline.

Started off with taekwondo then got into niujitsu and Shaolin niujitsu which started me off. Then started learning different techniques borrowed from just about all the martial arts. Pressure points , limb manipulation, body mechanics. Sort of a kick boxing of all martial arts. Kind of developed my own fighting styles from this. My jabs can put a 100 lb bag into the wall. My kicks are even worse, though mostly concnetration on taking a person down to the ground with them later on. Concentrated on learning about breaking limbs, ribs, to imobalize an attacker. Main styles are for a mix of speed and strength, lightning fast with a lot of hitting power. Shaolin Buddhist stuff allows me to take a beating like a terminator. Pain is like an emotion its something that can be controlled.

My martial arts is stricly self defense, evasion is the fist step with avioding a fight. If you can not aviod an attack , take the guy down and or imobalize him then evade.

Exploits :

Took down a 300 lb 6.4 foot 4th degree black belt play fighting, He was on his face before he knew what what happening, was funny he said WTF.

Disarmed a friends practice sword with my hands, ninja style lol.

Used to play tag running on the small beams of a wooden beam park jym set.

100 meter dash neer work record times.

put knuckle mark into apartment concreat, plaster mix outside facing wall.

Anyways this year gave up on martial arts and martial arts trainging and I feel much better now , honest. I am a perfectionist and like doing things 110% so felt I had to give up on martial arts disipline.

Martial arts is not horse crap its serios stuff and you can do some majore damage, if your taking martial arts take the disipline serios.

Simian Man
September 17th, 2009, 02:43 PM
No, but I'm quite good with a baseball bat :).

samjh
September 17th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Two ancient, battle-proven styles everyone should practice:

1. Nike-Do: the way of the sprinter.
2. Law-Yer-Quan: the art of the legal fist.

BrokenKingpin
September 17th, 2009, 04:10 PM
I am a 3rd degree brown belt in Shorin Ryu Karate. I plan on getting into Jujitsu at some point as well.