PDA

View Full Version : Why do windows repaint slowly

cl333r
November 1st, 2008, 02:50 PM
hi folks,
I'm using Ubuntu for like 2 years, I ran it on nvidia and intel graphics cards and on same computers I also have windows. What I clearly noticed is that Ubuntu (perhaps all distros, not just Ubuntu) manage to repaint windows pretty slowly compared to windows. In some cases I can almost watch the parts being repainted despite having binary graphics drivers installed.
I would appreciated a lot if someone points me to some link or comment on why this is so slow (compared to window$), what needs to be improved (the X server, the graphics drivers or something else..).
I'm learning C and as I 'grow up' I would consider investing my time into fixing this issue.
I uploaded a demo to
http://xlinuks.googlepages.com/video.ogv
but due to the video frame rate one can't actually see what I'm talking about.
Both Gnome and KDE are slow, except that KDE (3 & 4) seems a bit faster.
The only post I found somewhat similar to mine is:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=188738

billgoldberg
November 1st, 2008, 02:52 PM
hi folks,
I'm using Ubuntu for like 2 years, I ran it on nvidia and intel graphics cards and on same computers I also have windows. What I clearly noticed is that Ubuntu (perhaps all distros, not just Ubuntu) manage to repaint windows pretty slowly compared to windows. In some cases I can almost watch the parts being repainted despite having binary graphics drivers installed.
I would appreciated a lot if someone points me to some link or comment on why this is so slow (compared to window$), what needs to be improved (the X server, the graphics drivers or something else..).
I'm learning C and as I 'grow up' I would consider investing my time into fixing this issue.
I uploaded a demo to
http://xlinuks.googlepages.com/video.ogv
but due to the video frame rate one can't actually see what I'm talking about.
Both Gnome and KDE are slow, except that KDE (3 & 4) seems a bit faster.
The only post I found somewhat similar to mine is:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=188738

Could be a bad drivers, hardware, ...

All I can say is that I and I'm sure most people don't have this problem.

If it's really buggin you, try another WM like Fluxbox, it might help.

eldragon
November 1st, 2008, 03:00 PM
i know what you mean, ive felt this too. but what leaves me with no worries is that this windows repainting does not correlate with operating system performance..

i actually find linux to be much better at multitasking than windows (aka, couple of intensive tasks share resources better under linux compared to windows). the windows repaint is a nuisance and nothing more. i think (and dont quote me on this) its related to gnome and the gtk toolkit. you could try different desktop environments and check the results...

Grant A.
November 1st, 2008, 03:00 PM
Could be a bad drivers, hardware, ...

If it's really buggin you, try another WM like Fluxbox, it might help.

+1

That's exactly what I was thinking. However, if you REALLY want speed use wmii.

cl333r
November 1st, 2008, 03:15 PM
I have the GeForce 7600 GT 256MB with the proprietary drivers that Ubuntu suggested, unfortunately there are no better drivers I think. I have the same issue on my (second) 64 bit computer (also nvidia) and at work on intel graphics. I don't think in all these cases I have bad drivers, I think it's something else.
I tried other desktops, fluxbox and icevm I think (about 1 year ago) but IMHO there's a usability gap compared to Gnome and KDE.
I heard somewhere that this is because (allegedly) the graphics drivers in window$ are built-in into the window$ kernel, while Gnome and KDE are merely working on top of X server, hence the performance gap. I'm not sure if this is true, but I know that window$ works faster and I wanna help change that as I know C better. I'm saying this because it actually bothers me, but if I have to choose sticking to window$ and viruses, or choosing slower-graphics Linux without viruses, I choose the later.