PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Cannot find Kernel on Live USB-Stick

adieb
November 1st, 2008, 02:27 PM
Hello,

I am running Intrepid 32Bit and i wanted to try the 64Bit Version. So I downloaded the CD-Image.

With usb-creator I created the Image on my Kingston 4GB Usb Stick. Fine. Reboot.

It finds the "USB-Disk" and there is something like "syslinux, version...." and some other stuff (but no menu)

and then there is a line just with

boot:

If i hit enter it tells me

could not find kernel image linux

If i write anything, like vmlinuz or whatever, it just tells the same, but instead of linux the word i wrote.

What can I do? I already tried the option with the persistent Dataspace and without. I downloaded the .iso image again. No success.

---------
Core 2 Duo E6750
4 GB Ram
Kingston Datatraveller 4GB

Emill
November 1st, 2008, 05:48 PM
I have the same problem.
I am using Kingston 4GB DataTraveler.

adieb
November 1st, 2008, 06:33 PM
Do you think it is because of the Stick?

I took a look at the things that are copied on the stick. It seems to be alright though.
Or is it a file-system-problem?

I hope somebody knows something about it...

Shall we file a bugreport at launchpad?

C.S.Cameron
November 1st, 2008, 06:55 PM
Kingston 4G do not seem to be working with usb-creator.
The only way I have been able to do to get mine to work is to install to a 2G Kingston and then clone that to the 4G using dd.
I then create two ext3 partitions in the free space.
I label the first casper-rw and the second home-rw, then delete the casper-rw file from the U-C install.
This is a bit of a hassle but persistence works.
This bug has been reported, but a few more confirmations might help.

Jcord
November 1st, 2008, 09:01 PM
I have the same problem however my flash drive is a Transcend jetflash V30 / 4 GB
and I am using a iso of the 32 bit version

I have no other drives to try. But I have tried from multiple computers using 8.10 live cd and 8.04 freshly upgraded to 8.10.

adieb
November 2nd, 2008, 01:10 PM
Which Bug is it?
Can you post a link here?

C.S.Cameron
November 6th, 2008, 01:09 AM
Sorry for the delay, missed your post:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/usb-creator/+bug/276822

ktraglin
November 6th, 2008, 10:01 AM
I've been doing some testing with a couple of different machines. The first has a Biostar TA770-A2+ motherboard, while the second has a Gigabyte GA-M61SME-S2. I'm using a 2GB Feiya Technology Corp Memory Bar. Instructions from Pen Drive Linux (http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2008/10/15/ubuntu-810-persistent-flash-drive-install-from-live-cd) creates a device that boots just fine on either machine, but when using Ubuntu's new "Create a USB Startup Disk" (usb-creator), the same flash device only boots on the first machine. The second machine ends up at a terminal session boot prompt. Pressing [enter] yields the message, "Could not find kernel image: linux". I've also tried entering "vmlinuz", as well as "/casper/vmlinuz", with the similar results. I wan't to help Ubuntu continue to succeed as the best Desktop Linux available, but I'm not sure how else I can help.

Horny
November 22nd, 2008, 11:25 PM
Well... Im with this problem too but I notice USB Live boots based in the session where it was created.

Examples:
Using "Create USB startup disk" from my machine's Ubuntu creates a stick who boots the machine's Ubuntu kernel.

Using "Create USB startup disk" from a running Live CD session creates a stick who boots a Ubuntu's Live CD session. It returns a error if no Live CD is present.

Anybody else notice this?

sai.m
November 27th, 2008, 09:52 PM
I tried to create a USB start up disk from an ibex64 iso on my patriot xporter (16 GB) with my laptop using the tools ibex 64 came with. I also ran into the "could not find kernel image: linux" error when I tried to boot it on my desktop, even though my .cfg files and the iso's md5 were correct.

I decided to format the drive into FAT32 with gparted and added the boot and lba flags manually, instead of letting the live usb creator do it. Then, I used the live usb creator to add in the files. At first, I thought this made it worse because my desktop would not even boot from USB to get to that error sceen. It turns out that it made the drive recognize as a normal hard disk, and I just had to give it a higher priority than my main drive.

It runs much faster than a live CD, so its useful. I can finally get rid of optical media.