PDA

View Full Version : Heron works fine for me. Do I need to upgrade to Ibex 8.10?

Bloch
November 1st, 2008, 02:09 PM
Well?

The question arose because I spent some time googling up what the new features of Intrepid Ibex are, but couldn't find anything much, and I couldn't understand the official feature list.

Maybe it's too soon for revies etc to show up on google.

So, is there anything outstanding that will make me want to upgrade?

(I know from before that will involve some risk and some tweaking)

OrangeCrate
November 1st, 2008, 02:13 PM
There's no reason to upgrade to a new version, if everything is working for you, and it's still supported. Upgrading is a personal choice. Many, just like new, shiny things.

overdrank
November 1st, 2008, 02:14 PM
there's no reason to upgrade to a new version, if everything is working for you, and it's still supported. Upgrading is a personal choice. Many, just like new, shiny things.

+1

paul101
November 1st, 2008, 02:17 PM
i like the new shiny buttons :razz:

insane_alien
November 1st, 2008, 02:20 PM
if the ubuntu version you use is still officially supported and you are unsure whether you need to upgrade or not then 9/10 you don't need to upgrade.

walkerk
November 1st, 2008, 02:25 PM
I don't think I'll be upgrading this time around. I am already running the new kernel w/ my 8.04 setup. I usually upgrade every 6 months but I don't feel like messing up my setup.

rudihawk
November 1st, 2008, 02:29 PM
Although Intrepid doesn't have any major major new features, its a lot more stable than my hardy was. It boots faster as well!

Eisenwinter
November 1st, 2008, 02:30 PM
Well?

The question arose because I spent some time googling up what the new features of Intrepid Ibex are, but couldn't find anything much, and I couldn't understand the official feature list.

Maybe it's too soon for revies etc to show up on google.

So, is there anything outstanding that will make me want to upgrade?

(I know from before that will involve some risk and some tweaking)
Don't mean to sound rude, but I think the question is obsolete, you've answered it yourself.

ankursethi
November 1st, 2008, 02:43 PM
There *are* some killer new features for people who mainly use laptops. First, the new X is wonderful. Now you can easily attach external monitors to your laptops without having to mess with config files. Secondly, the new Network Manager kicks ***. I especially like the ability to set up mobile braodband connections easily. Even though I have a proper broadband line at home and a Wi-Fi station to go with it, I've occassionally had to use other people's mobile broadband connections, and I've never managed to get them to work on Linux. Not any more!