PDA

View Full Version : [kde] KDE 4.1, Ibex, Dual Monitors - there's no desktop on the second screen

eimi
November 1st, 2008, 12:33 PM
Hi,

I've recently installed a Kubuntu 8.10 (clean install). After installation I added nvidia drivers and have rewritten original xorg.conf with nvidia-xconfig to avoid segfault during the parsing of original ubuntu xorg.conf.

By using the nvidia-settings tool, I set up my display hardware as follows:

Separate X screens (one laptop matrix 1280x800, one external monitor 1680x1050).

This configuration has worked well in KDE 3.5/Hardy Heron.

Unfortunately, after restarting X-server, the second screen goes online, but without any plasma objects - no desktop, no menu, just blank screen and movable mouse pointer.

How can I enable support for the second monitor in KDE 4.1?

Thanks for your help.

trawler
November 8th, 2008, 10:38 AM
Just to confirm, I have the same problem exactly.

Uber_Rage
November 13th, 2008, 05:47 AM
I bumped into the same problem and have been able to solve it for myself. The problem occured after I tried to set a custom resolution for the second monitor. I used nvidia-settings to 'auto' set the resolution of the second monitor (both my displays have auto settings) and then restarted Xserver.

Hope this helps !

sloppyc
November 13th, 2008, 06:07 AM
Hi,

I've recently installed a Kubuntu 8.10 (clean install). After installation I added nvidia drivers and have rewritten original xorg.conf with nvidia-xconfig to avoid segfault during the parsing of original ubuntu xorg.conf.

By using the nvidia-settings tool, I set up my display hardware as follows:

Separate X screens (one laptop matrix 1280x800, one external monitor 1680x1050).

This configuration has worked well in KDE 3.5/Hardy Heron.

Unfortunately, after restarting X-server, the second screen goes online, but without any plasma objects - no desktop, no menu, just blank screen and movable mouse pointer.

How can I enable support for the second monitor in KDE 4.1?

Thanks for your help.
That happened to me when I used Dualview. I found that Twinview worked better. I can drag windows to the second screen, and even use the Compiz Cube. Though it's not without its issues (see my thread).

jstgtpaid
December 20th, 2008, 06:32 AM
I had the same problem. It was working flawlessly in gnome, but when I tried to go to kde 4.1 I got the same problem. However, I switch my settings to twinview and everything is working fine now...

Thanks for the tip, sloppyc!