PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing ubuntu desktop 8.04.1

angelito007
November 1st, 2008, 12:27 PM
I have been trying to install ubuntu on a Dell SX270 desktop. I have the image iso file on a disc and I have set up the boot sequence to boot directly from disc so that the installation can go on. However, after selecting the language to use (English), and selecting Install Ubuntu from the following menu, the installation seems to go fine until after I see a Ubuntu logo with a progress meter. Once the progress meter finished up. I can still hear the cd rom working as though its installing something. This is when the monitor shuts off and everything else seems to go an a halt. The end result is ubuntu is not installed and I have to start over again but encounters the same problem.

Is there anything I'm doing wrong. I have installed other linux distros before and I have never faced a problem like this. Is this a hardware problem? How come I don't get this problem when I install XP?

Thank you,

meindian523
November 1st, 2008, 12:50 PM
Did you md5sum the ISO before burning the CD?Burnt at 4x or lower?

dru3692
November 1st, 2008, 09:03 PM
I am also in the process of burning the image of 8.04. I downloaded WinMD5Sum. Is this the correct file to verify data integrity of ubuntu 8.04 download?

There were several MD5Sum file choices so I'm not sure that I got the correct file. Also, what is the text of the error for strings that don't match?

meindian523
November 2nd, 2008, 11:00 AM
There is no error,AFAIK.You have to manually verify the generated md5sum hash with the one provided on the Ubuntu website.Unless you are downloading per torrent,then there is no need to verify because torrent automatically verifies the hash value for each bit it downloads.