PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Question about partitions and upgrading to 8.10

le singe
November 1st, 2008, 11:56 AM
Hello all. just wondering...

I was running dual-boot windows xp and ubuntu, then I deleted/formatted my windows partition and created a new ext3 partition in it's place to use the free space in ubuntu. It now shows up as a second storage device.

I'd like to upgrade from Hardy 8.04 to Ibex 8.10, and my question is this: if I do so by way of a fresh CD install, and I choose the "use entire hard disk" option, will my two-partition setup remain and ubuntu install onto only one of the two, or by opting to use the entire hard drive will this format my entire drive/partitions creating one larger partition for ubuntu (where the entire hard disk reads as one single volume, combining the space windows originally took into ubuntu - is that clear? for example, one 120GB drive vs the 50GB I first allocated for ubuntu alongside a second 70GB storage device)?

and by the way... are those of you who have upgraded finding that you're able to download (most) all of the same programs in the new repositories (vlc, cairo clock, dock apps, etc)?

Thanks again ever-so-helpful Linux/Ubuntu community.

Pumalite
November 1st, 2008, 12:31 PM
'Entire hard disk' is just that: the whole disk. But is you go 'Manual'; you can pick and choose. I would save and backup everything first in either case.

le singe
November 1st, 2008, 12:34 PM
'Entire hard disk' is just that: the whole disk. But is you go 'Manual'; you can pick and choose. I would save and backup everything first in either case.

ok. Relatively obvious answer I suppose. I'm still learning about partitions and clarifying some things for myself. Thank you!