PDA

View Full Version : /dev/sda change to /dev/uba?

gaarie
November 1st, 2008, 11:09 AM
so let me explain the situation. i've got a closed source program running that will automatically mount any flash drives plugged into /dev/uba-ubf.

here's part of the fstab for the original system, on which the mounting worked perfectly...

/dev/uba /mnt/flash1 vfat noauto,owner 0 0
/dev/uba1 /mnt/flash1 vfat noauto,owner 0 0
/dev/ubb /mnt/flash2 vfat noauto,owner 0 0
/dev/ubb1 /mnt/flash2 vfat noauto,owner 0 0
/dev/ubc /mnt/flash3 vfat noauto,owner 0 0
/dev/ubc1 /mnt/flash3 vfat noauto,owner 0 0
/dev/ubd /mnt/flash4 vfat noauto,owner 0 0
/dev/ubd1 /mnt/flash4 vfat noauto,owner 0 0
/dev/ube /mnt/flash5 vfat noauto,owner 0 0
/dev/ube1 /mnt/flash5 vfat noauto,owner 0 0
/dev/ubf /mnt/flash6 vfat noauto,owner 0 0
/dev/sdf1 /mnt/flash6 vfat noauto,owner 0 0

i have switched the working operating system to ubuntu as opposed to debian sarge, and now the usb drive wants to mount on sdb by default, so now the program will not mount any drives plugged in automatically.

what can i do to change my ubuntu configuration so that flash drives mount to /dev/uba or /dev/ubb etc...

i have tried creating hard links using

ln /dev/sda /dev/uba
etc...

but it does not seem to work. they are erased almost immediately.

thanks in advance for any pointers that you may be able to give me.

EDIT: i think i am on the right track with mknod, but i have no idea how to use it. i've got the usb .ko module files that came with the original distribution, and i am inserting them with insmod.

can anyone help me create the devices with mknod properly? i want to make sure i am doing it right.

i have four usb ports on the back of the computer. i need to make sure that when a usb drive is plugged into a specific port, it is assigned the right ub* based on bus and device IDs.

lensman3
December 14th, 2008, 11:59 PM
You did a "ln /dev/sda /dev/uba". That is a hard link. What happens with a softlink:

ln -s /dev/sda /dev/uba