PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dual-booting two Linux distros

funky_uncle
November 1st, 2008, 10:29 AM
Hi, I gave up on Ubuntu 8.04 because of network and graphics card issues. Linux Mint, which is based on Ubuntu, has worked better, though I still don't get to use the digital output of my graphics card.

All in all, Mint is pretty good, but I'd still like to go back to Ubuntu since it seems stabler and has more support and users etc.

I'm hoping I can safely install Ubuntu 8.10 and dual-boot it alongside Mint, not having to reformat my entire harddisk, so I'll get to check it out. But I can't find much info on that, so I don't dare to try i yet. Or would a live CD give me enough of a clue about how it'll work?

Dumdideldum
November 1st, 2008, 10:37 AM
it should work without any problems.
Just make sure, it has an own partition to use - (it can share the swap-partition (if you have one) ) with the other distro.

Furthermore, it should be able to detect the other distribution if
you reinstall grub - but I think it is important that you install grub where grub from the other distri is sitting - I guess the mbr.

If it doesn't detect the other distri, you still can add it manually.

funky_uncle
November 1st, 2008, 11:00 AM
Thank's, I'm downloading 8.10 now. I certainly hope Flash will work better in Ubuntu (as it is now I can run only one Flash application at a time, and only after restarting Firefox first).

funky_uncle
November 1st, 2008, 05:07 PM
I can't find/set up an internet connection with Ubuntu 8.10, so I'll have to stick with Mint for now (I can't depend on having to call a networking wiz every time I want to try a new distro). :(

funky_uncle
November 1st, 2008, 08:01 PM
Tried OpenSUSE, that didn't find my cabled network either. But Mandriva 2009 did. So I'm going to make some backups, cross my fingers and try to install it alongside Mint.