PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] WTF is it with firefox and Ubuntu

babajc
November 1st, 2008, 09:47 AM
I'm really at a loss to figure out why it is that Firefox seems to be such a dog under Ubuntu. I know that there have been issues with the flash implementation over time, but it seems that enough years have passed where one would imagine there to be a solution. Instead one is left with a version of Firefox that sucks up 125M of memory with not that many open tabs (at least when compared to Firefox under WinBlows.)

So the question that must be asked is WTF is it with firefox and Ubuntu. When can one expect a viable solution to be available?

(I guess I'm getting pretty tired of the current state of things.) Am I alone in feeling this way?

Tichondrius
November 1st, 2008, 11:28 AM
Firefox is a piece of garbage. That's true under windows just as much as under Linux. It uses a lot of memory, leaks more and more over time, crashes if too many "complex" pages are open, and takes a a huge amount of time to start up if you have more than a few tabs to load at startup. And a newsflash: almost NOTHING changed with version 3, it's still the same old crap as it used to be in version 2 and before. Also, firefox is NOT fast, it's slower than IE.

Sure, firefox has many features and extensions and plugins, but in the end there are just too many hassles. Luckily Google Chrome solves the main problems of firefox - the stability and reliability, while sacrificing a few features. But really, most of those "extesions" can be replaced by system utilities, and in the end that's exactly what Google did - made the browser just that, and left everything else to the operating system, which is much better at managing memory and processes.

May firefox and its team of "programmers" get punished for their horrible substandard lazy a$$ coding, and pay us back for all the frustration and wasted time dealing with its problems.

vitorgatti
November 1st, 2008, 11:28 AM
Strange... my Firefox is consuming like 70MB of memory, with 5 tabs opened.
That's kinda normal for Firefox.

Really dunno what caused this to you. Maybe it's a specific site you are visiting, or you don't have something installed that could help Firefox to render the page.

Try installing ubuntu-restricted-extras package and restart your computer to see if things get better.

Good luck

m_l17
November 1st, 2008, 03:14 PM
It's not specific to Unbuntu. The memory issues with firefox happen across all platforms at least for me anyways. In OS X, XP, and Ubuntu. I hope they are working on this issue. I have to say that some Add-ons are memory hogs. I only use a few, since I noticed that it affects memory usage and overall performance.

As an example, firefox has being running for a little over a day and it's up to 41% of my memory [758mb] :shock: With only four tabs open.

Zzzach
December 15th, 2008, 03:16 PM
My firefox is screwed up too. After 10 or 20 minutes of working fine, it suddenly starts using up all the virtual memory and lagging like crazy! I'm thinking of reinstalling it and seeing if that helps, or I might have to switch to another browser. It's annoying!