PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Project

lswest
November 1st, 2008, 08:00 AM
Okay, so I'm looking for a project or something to keep me busy.

Possible areas:
Linux
Computer/Electronics in general (e.g. building something or modding routers, something along those lines)
GIMP (graphic design)
Web Design
Other (within the field of electronics please)

Mainly I'm trying to keep myself from thinking about things that aren't so great in my life right now, so any suggestions would be very, very helpful. Reasonable ones please.

Thanks in advance for any ideas,
Lswest

Saint Angeles
November 1st, 2008, 08:03 AM
i know EXACTLY what you mean!

make some websites using Drupal and add a crapload of modules and tweak the theme like crazy...

it'll keep you busy... and hey, maintaining a blog can be a creative outlet... kind of.

steveydoteu
November 1st, 2008, 08:03 AM
That is rather broad, don't you think? Makes it a little hard to suggest something.

lswest
November 1st, 2008, 08:04 AM
i know EXACTLY what you mean!

make some websites using Drupal and add a crapload of modules and tweak the theme like crazy...

it'll keep you busy... and hey, maintaining a blog can be a creative outlet... kind of.

Ha, thanks, I'll look into it...my blog's been kind of neglected lately, might start writing for it again today (it's 8am, so I probably won't do anything for an hour or so).

Thanks for the quick response,
Lswest

@steveydoteu:
Suggest whatever you want, or something that you've found kept you busy. Broad can also be good, since it doesn't restrict your responses.

steveydoteu
November 1st, 2008, 08:17 AM
True being broad can be a positive as well.

For me of late it has been www.stevey.eu more than anything, and just fiddling about with little things like my Conky setup.

lswest
November 1st, 2008, 08:31 AM
True being broad can be a positive as well.

For me of late it has been www.stevey.eu more than anything, and just fiddling about with little things like my Conky setup.

Oh, right, thanks for reminding me, meant to fix a bug in my conky config that cropped up.

Nice blog btw

4Orbs
November 1st, 2008, 08:51 AM
Clean the dust out of your computer. Wipe off your desk, then reorganize everything. Eat a bowl of cold breakfast cereal. Practice the guitar for two hours. Then move on to the real project; create a thumbnail sized wind generator that can be duplicated a thousand times so they can produce enough amperage to power all your household appliances. Then write about it in your blog.

rax_m
November 1st, 2008, 09:08 AM
Buy one of these and then find something useful for it in your home :D

http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS7347167279.html

lswest
November 1st, 2008, 10:11 AM
Clean the dust out of your computer. Wipe off your desk, then reorganize everything. Eat a bowl of cold breakfast cereal. Practice the guitar for two hours. Then move on to the real project; create a thumbnail sized wind generator that can be duplicated a thousand times so they can produce enough amperage to power all your household appliances. Then write about it in your blog.

I've done all of that which you mentioned (save for the generator :P) and I did ask for reasonable suggestions :P

@rax_m:
Looks neat, but sadly, I've got no money to spend on anything.

mtron
November 1st, 2008, 10:37 AM
GIMP (graphic design)

i could need some help there :). I'm working on a small app (nothing released yet...) that lacks a proper icon.

More info via pm if you are interested.

cheers,
mtron

steveydoteu
November 1st, 2008, 10:59 AM
I would suggest using Inkscape for the bulk of the work when making icons, it is better suited for the purpose. Not that I am an expert in the area ;)

lswest
November 1st, 2008, 11:56 AM
i would suggest using inkscape for the bulk of the work when making icons, it is better suited for the purpose. Not that i am an expert in the area ;)

+1 :p

Hire
November 1st, 2008, 12:03 PM
We need a good artworker for SHR.

SHR is a distro community-driven for Freerunner, a opensource phone.

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Main_Page

We need icons, mockup, wallpaper, buttons and others thing for phone so if you are interested send me a pm.

lswest
November 1st, 2008, 12:16 PM
Ha, I actually meant a project more as a pasttime thing, not an open source project. It's something I need to just be able to pick up and work on for short periods of time when I need to distract myself.

Hire
November 1st, 2008, 12:30 PM
Ha, I actually meant a project more as a pasttime thing, not an open source project. It's something I need to just be able to pick up and work on for short periods of time when I need to distract myself.

If you are good with artwork it is perfect :)

We need simple icons and mockup and we don't set deadline.

lswest
November 1st, 2008, 12:45 PM
If you are good with artwork it is perfect :)

We need simple icons and mockup and we don't set deadline.

Haha, I'm good at abstract and touching up, not sure how I'd be with mockups.

If you PM me with more info on what you'd need exactly, what you were thinking of, etc. I'll give it some thought.

Going to the movies with a friend of mine though, so I may need a while to reply.

harry2006
November 15th, 2008, 06:17 AM
If you are looking for some kinda of open source projects then why dont you start here,

http://sourceforge.net/people/

BTW, i liked the response from "4Orbs", just too cool!isn't it?