PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] How to enable advanced desktop effects in xubuntu

jittopjose
November 1st, 2008, 05:52 AM
hello friends..
i am an ubuntu user. today i installed xubuntu-desktop in my current installation. in ubuntu, desktop effects were enabled.. but in xubuntu, its not seems active. shall i know how to activate the advanced desktop effects?
thank you
jittos....

denham2010
November 1st, 2008, 10:06 AM
From Synaptic, install CompizConfig Settings Manager

In Settings Manager - Autostarted Apps, add a new starter and name it Compiz with the command line compiz --replace

Restart your system and compiz will now start on boot. CompizConfig Settings Manager will now be available in the Settings menu for you to configure it to your liking.

Cheers.

phatcartoon
January 25th, 2009, 03:44 AM
I have been an Ubuntu user for the last six months or so. I have enjoyed it much so but, recently I have switched from Gnome to Xfce. I wish I could mix the two some how. Actually I really just like Xfce but, like Compiz-fuison. I have read the above post and this page which I also found useful.
http://xubuntublog.wordpress.com/2007/12/09/xubuntu-compiz-pretty-pretty-xubuntu/
My question is, is there any way to use the Xfce windows manager while using Compiz-fusion. Every time I click under settings manger and then windows manager while running Compiz-fusion I get a message that it can't currently run. I like compiz-fuison but I also like little things with my old windows manager. Such as the Tux window style. No buttons of close or maximise, just simple small tab looking border with middle click for options. Also I like being able to shade my windows with a simple roll of the mouse wheel. I want to keep these features that I like with the features such as desktop switch, app switch, and 3D cube. I know this might not be possible but, if any one has an answer please inform me. Thank you.